Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What is Traceability Metrics?

Hi All,

Can anyone correct if I am going wrong. My manager gave me a definition that it is how you map/match your requirements to functionality you provide.

Can any of the Gurus elobrate on this thread and give me more information.

Also where should I specify this in the Test Plan.

Thanks in Advance.

Cheers

------------------
    Reji Itteera
    Testing Engineer
    Reggie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: What is Traceability Metrics?

Hi Tracebility will have a fields called
    User Needs , Requirements
    This has to be mapped were in which section of SRS it is.
    Also In design where it is mapped, in coding where it is mapped , in test cases where it is mapped , testing , was it fail/pass

Mapping of Functionality from User needs to Test cases.
    Gurus correct me If I am wrong

------------------
    Dinesh
    Dinesh
    Be your Own Light

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In order to do proper traceability a number of things have to be done. Firstly, and probably most importantly, is to have uniquely identifiable requirements (sometimes easier said than done). The easiest way of doing this is to number each of the requirements. For each requirement, there should be a reference to where in the functional spec, design spec, independent test plan, test case and User Acceptance plan the requirement is being met. Ideally, there should also be a reference to the code modules, although this is generally either too difficult or too time consuming. The reverse should also be true, in that, for example, each test case should have a reference back to the requirement, functional spec and design spec. Therefore you have a forward reference and a backward reference. That will give you full traceability which you can show as a traceability matrix.

Where in the test plan should it be? I don’t think it should be in the test plan at all, except as an activity to be carried out with start and end dates. It is project information, not test information, and such should be either a standalone document or part of a Quality Plan and available to all on the project.

The advantages of this traceability are obvious. The disadvantages are, however, less obvious. In order for the traceability matrix to be useful, it MUST be maintained and kept up to date which is not a trivial task, costs time and effort and cannot be a one-off activity – an out of date traceability matrix is worse than no traceability matrix. A major disadvantage (in my mind) is that some people will say that every test case must relate back directly to a requirement. This hampers the testing effort as it can constrain the testing effort, particularly if you believe in exploratory testing as a technique (it can help to focus the testing effort, but should not constrain it). Like other project deliverables, the matrix should undergo thorough review and this can be difficult to get all the skills/participants together to review.

I like the idea of full traceability, but I have yet to see it work correctly (although I have heard that government and defence systems use it a lot). As with a number of apparently good ideas, the practicality can be too difficult and the desired result not achieved – just my experience.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Reji Itteera:
    Hi All,

Can anyone correct if I am going wrong. My manager gave me a definition that it is how you map/match your requirements to functionality you provide.

Can any of the Gurus elobrate on this thread and give me more information.

Also where should I specify this in the Test Plan.
    Thanks in Advance.
    Cheers
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At the beginning of your test plan is the best place for the matrix since you're mapping requirements->tests. A numbering scheme I like to use is;
    1.x.x - Requirement
    x.1.x - Objective
    x.x.1 - Test case

So 4.6.14 would be test case 14 that covers part of Test Object 6 that covers part or all of requirement 4.

If you are doing part manual and part automated testing, sometimes this matrix can be used to identify that also.

You will also want to either copy or refer to this in your test report so that the business can see that you did indeed create and execute tests against the items they required in the software.

And you can also ensure that there is nothing extra added in to cause scope-creep.
    For instance, if an 'easter egg' is added, there was no requirement for it, so there's no test objective to write or execute tests against it.

------------------
    Jean James, CSTE
    J.James Consulting, Inc.
    Jean James
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I deliver what I promise, and I only promise what I can deliver.
    ------------------------------------------------------------