Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Kludges Vs. Corrections

Do you want it fixed or fixed right now? We've all experienced "This will do for now." which is a 'kludge'. How do you justify them? What have your experiences been? How have you gone about getting them removed? Do they actually get removed?

I know we encounter these, however we rarely seem to want to discuss it.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Kludges Vs. Corrections

I think the best way to handle it is to note in the implementation and/or analysis portion of the defect report that the fix is a temporary band-aid, then either keep that defect open at a lower priority, or close it and open a new ticket requesting a "correct" fix. Later analysis might decide the kludge is good enough and then you can close the ticket for good, but at least that way it was an informed decision and not a "that will work, ship it and close the defect!" sort of situation.

------------------
    Charles Reace

#!/usr/bin/perl
    my @email = qw(charles reace verizon net);
    printf("%s.%s@%s.%s\n", $email[0], $email[1], $email[2], $email[3]);
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.</i] (The Song of Roland)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Kludges Vs. Corrections

Whenever I have seen a kludge, or band-aid or temporary fix implemented, it's always been permanent. And this ends up leading to more kludges... etc.

Reminds me a little of the patches on pot holes in the roads. Have you ever counted how many times one pothole has been patched before they actually cut out the bad part and repave?

Whenever I'm given a temporary fix to test, I try harder to break it, than I might if it were re-written. Problem is, I don't always know that it was a band-aid.

------------------
    Jean James, CSTE
    J.James Consulting, Inc.
    "I deliver what I promise, and I only promise what I can deliver."
    Jean James
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I deliver what I promise, and I only promise what I can deliver.
    ------------------------------------------------------------