Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QA Mission Statement?

Does anyone have ideas for a mission statement for a QA department? Although I've done QA for most of the last 7 years, I've never created an actual mission statement for a QA department (nor have I worked for a department that had one). However, I like the idea, and I want to create something meaningful that accurately describes what our goals are in 2 sentences or less.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QA Mission Statement?

Why do you think most QA departments don't have one?

Company mission statements (if backed up by action throughout the organisation) has some worth but why one for QA department. They staff should know what they are there for via their job descriptions.

Test/QA Manager

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How about this mission statement (in one or two sentences per your suggestion):

Testing Program Charter:
    Define, communicate, and implement a Testing Life-cycle Management and Implementation approach for the XYZ project/program, based on the Automated Testing Life-cycle Methodology (ATLM) and/or other best practices (i.e. RUP, etc), thus ensuring successful implementation and delivery of the XYZ projects.

------------------
    Elfriede Dustin
    Senior Author "Automated Software Testing" www.autotestco.com

[This message has been edited by Elfriede Dustin (edited 02-07-2000).]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The company has created an overall mission statement, now we are having each department identify how they will help achieve the companies objective. I agree that individual job descriptions guide daily activities, but having an overall goal for the department is also useful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have worked for several companies that used mission statements per department and I feel that they can be useful to some extent. I have created 2 mission statements for 2 different companies. By having these mission statements it created bonding set of goals for our team to pursue and maintain.

You are on the right path to creating a statement by knowing that it should be short and precise.

I would suggest that you combine the definition of quality assurance with the expectations of your companies QA group. Remember to ensure that whatever you put together is understood and agreed upon by upper management or whoever oversees your QA group. Keep it realistic and agreeable.

If you ever feel that your group is not focussed on fulfilling that statement because of overpowering sources (upper management) you can fall back to that agreed upon mission statement for redirection of the possible goat rodeo.

It’s good to see that your company has an interest in your group’s goal(s). This can be sometimes difficult to implement when a company is ‘one way’ with their goals.

Good luck in creating the mission statement for your group!

Hope this helped!

Brian-