Thread: SIT testing????

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: SIT testing????

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SnakeMarks:
    I did a search and found nothing, I keep getting emails and hearing about sit testing......am I just hearing this wrong and are ppl just writing this wrong?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And remember, it's just SIT...not SIT testing.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

SIT testing????

I did a search and found nothing, I keep getting emails and hearing about sit testing......am I just hearing this wrong and are ppl just writing this wrong? Are they really meaning silk testing? If not then what is sit testing? I am extremely green in the QA field .

Thanks in advance,
    Snake

------------------
    SnakeMarks
    SnakeMarks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

My best guesses are:

Software Integration Test
    System Integration Test
    System Interoperability Test
    System Interface Test

------------------
    Charles Reace (charles{DOT}reace{AT}verizon{DOT}net)

#!/usr/bin/perl
    if($QA != $Testing) { printf "Right\n"; }
    else { printf "Wrong\n"; }
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.&lt;/i] (The Song of Roland)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yeah, they probably mean "Software Integration Testing" specifically, going with the first of Charles' list, which is how some firms refer to the overall practice of integration testing something. The military also uses this specific acronym quite a bit along with FVT - "Functional Validation Test". Also note that many places do use "System Integration Testing" as well when they have hardware and software that is being integrated. So if it is hardware and software, you will tend to see the S in SIT mean "System" whereas if it is software only, the S will tend to stand for "Software" - at least in my experience.

This acronym also has a very specific hardware/manufacturing connotation as well. For example, NASA has test plans for "SIT" which is Sonic Integrity Test - a type of performance test.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi

It is System Integration Testing only. Since system integration also involves software integration it is more appropriate that SIT to be system integration test only.

===============
    Guna

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GUNA:
    It is System Integration Testing only.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I pointed out, this is not always the case. I have worked at organizations where this was definitely not the case. It is always best to find out how people in your organization are using the term rather than just assuming it must be one way and no other. I think it just often hinges on whether people want to refer to their software as a "system". (It reminds me of the debates between "infrastructure" and "architecture".)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Since system integration also involves software integration it is more appropriate that SIT to be system integration test only.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some places do system integration only with hardware that has no software component at all. That is probably why SIT has taken on a few connotations. Personally, I dislike the acronym for the very reasons that we are discussing. In general, however, I have not heard this used all that much. (The last place it was used that I worked at was a company called FullAudio that did hardware and software testing and, there, the term was used as System Integration Test.)

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

For info on integration testing, check this post:
    http://www.qaforums.com/Forum15/HTML/003280.html
    Thanks,
    Tim Van Tongeren