Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Blog Entries

UFT was easier on my brain compared to Selenium. How about you?

At first I thought that Selenium was difficult to work with because it was new to me.

Now after months of studying it I realize that the parts are fragmented and implementation by users is varied.

For example, I watch people installing Java/Eclipse/Selenium. It seems to be slightly different. People are choosing different versions of software, including different jars and different versions of browsers.

Then the coding begins. I go to do one simple task such as selecting from a dropdown object. I know that I have done it before. So I start looking through google, notes, code and then I find some variation. Maybe I click on the dropdown and then select or use Select.....

In UFT I recorded to remembered what the code looks like and then tune it when I need to.

Selenium can do some cool stuff such as running the script in parallel from the Grid. I cannot find many places where UFT wont do what is required.

UFT costs money, Mercury, HP, and we will find out about Micro Focus are sometimes difficult to work with when asking for support.

I will keep learning Selenium because I enjoy it. It just seems difficult to remember the details, it takes a lot more lines of code and feels as if I'm using a tool with power and complexity that gets in my way more than solving a goal of testing an application.

These are my own thoughts and not those of the company that I work for.

What are others thoughts?

Thanks,

Kevin
    When in Florida, Don't Tampa with the code. I made this up.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Selenium itself I think is the same or easier. I mean all automation tools essentially just come down to an ability to identify, interact with, and read an object. There are several recording options for Se as well.

The bigger stumbling block is just going from procedual vbscript to a true object oriented language. Selenium with Ruby or Python can be easier to pick up than mastering Java. Heck, there is a pseudo supported vbs binding for Se as well. But I think a lot of people would laugh at you if you proposed using it.

I love how Selenium got its name. It is a treatment for Mercury poisoning.
    Last edited by NoUse4aName; 04-25-2018 at 03:38 PM.