Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

TOSCA as a test automation tool.

Hi

Our organisation is looking to buy an automation tool which will help them run automated test cases (End to End) involving applications built on Desktop,Web,Webservices, PowerBuilder & Mainframes technologies .Any suggestions on this ? How is TOSCA (by Tricentis) as an automation tool.
    A hands on usage experience by anyone would be really helpful in this regard .

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I'm using Tosca every day in an Agile team. I've come to appreciate it for helping me to rapidly pull together automated test scripts...

Specifically, I like how it has a folder/tree hierarchy design making it super easy to quickly move sections of "code" from one place to another, I can create folders to keep tightly coupled "lines" of "code" together while easily moving them around, or copying sections from other scripts. "Reusable teststepblocks" basically provide user defined function(ality)... I also love the aspect that all those folders (and "lines" of code) can be renamed to effectively "self-document" the "code"... and most of the renamed modules/objects put their names into the run log, making it easy to track down what went wrong where.

Tricentis touts Tosca as "codeless", in that it's scripts are not "text files" where you can type each character and string together function names and keywords into statements with syntax... where a simple typo can break the whole thing... Tosca's "code" actually looks more like a blend of Excel and a file manager (folder structure), with each "line of code" having various data elements that can be defined in different columns... I takes some getting used to, but it works.

There are some standard programming constructs that are simply missing, and that bugs the hell out of me, but I'm able to work around them... for example, while they have loops (while, do/loop, etc...) those loops have no "continue" command... you cannot break out of the loop early unless you build an IF block structure specifically designed to break out of a loop early. Also, I can't find any specific command to "EXIT TEST"... The only way to abort a test programmatically is to intentionally trigger what is effectively a syntax error - i.e. trying to interact with an object that I know isn't on screen, triggering a script error)

I also like the requirements system and how it links to the execution list system and the test cases system to nearly effortlessly handle my traceability.

The modules system is pretty good at organizing the "SUT interface objects" (similar to how QTP uses it's object repository/descriptive programming), but to make it really work, you need to keep tight curation over the modules. Luckily the modules system also features deep named-folder nesting, so organization can be pretty easy.

Any other questions?