Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Benefits of Creating Testing Centre of Excellence

The First Step: Assess Readiness
    The internal support and commitment necessary for the success of a TCoE must be gathered and
    conveyed to the entire company. Itís important that everyone understand and stand by the notion that quality is a priority. Prior to establishing a TCoE, a full impact analysis should be performed and reviewed by key stakeholders. Resources should be assessed,impactsof the changes estimated, and possibly an investment of external support will be needed.
    Organizations that have already aligned with standards such as CMMi will be much more receptive to the
    changes required for a TCoE. Determining or obtaining a core team with solid QA skills is also a
    readiness indicator. This team needs to be familiar with, or receive training for, standardized testing tools that are necessary for a successful TCoE. A company with well-defined process owner roles, flexible funding, and strong internal decision making will see results sooner than a company lacking any of these.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Two questions, if I may?

Firstly, can you please define what you mean by "Test Centre of Excellence"? Your definition, within your context, may be different to mine.

Secondly, as per the subject title can you please expand on what the benefits of having a TCoE are? How do these compare (for you) to other test structures?

Bonus third question: Why does a TCoE need to have "standardised testing tools"?
    Last edited by meridian_05; 09-27-2016 at 06:35 AM.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I like the idea of TCoE, I've been trying to implement one at my current company. I'd like to hear about other's people approach and experiences.

It's had mixed success. Right now it's being approached as a grassroots project done on our spare time. So far I've been able to establish a knowledgebase and a central document store for best practices and articles. However, it's been a struggle to get regular contributions from the rest of the organization, and a reorg has set back some of the efforts in getting a regular mindshare meeting going. The knowledgebase so far has been a hit with new hires. However without regular contributions, other Sr. employees haven't been using it. Many articles beyond that of introductory ones for new hires have started getting stale. I'm still trying to write a proposal for a knowledge share rewards program, looking for research to support the productivity gains.

I read about HP's Blogging Idol program Case Study on Sloan, Designing Effective Knowledge Networks (pretty cheap case study, worth the read), and was really inspired by the idea and want to try it out. The gist of the article is, that people hate to take time out of their day to write articles or help each other. So HP created a "blogging idol" program that rewards those who write helpful articles.
    Last edited by dlai; 09-27-2016 at 10:29 AM.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Appears to just be a spammer cutting and pasting some stuff to build up posts.