What is backward testing ?

Can anyone explain it ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    What is the context that the phrase was used in?

A quick Google throws up "backward compatability testing" (in relation to moving to newer platforms/devices) and "backtesting" in relation to testing trading strategies, both of which are easily explainable but may not be what you're after.

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Actually, Its only about backward testing. That is the question asked by an interviewer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    "Context" can mean the role that you were applying for, the company, the product you might be testing, the type of testing that you would be doing, etc. I appreciate that you might not want to provide that detail on a public forum, but this is just to let you know that there is much more to context than just words.

What was your answer? Did the interviewer explain in more detail? An interview is a two-way conversation, so I hope you asked them for a clearer explanation of what they meant?

It's okay to say that you don't know a certain phrase, especially when different companies might have internal jargon that they use, so use the interview to ask for clarity on what they mean so that you can provide a better answer and some examples from your experience.

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    thanks for the reply Merdian.

It is one of the question, he asked. Even though i was not clear with it. I asked again about it, he did not clear what he want to ask.

I know only about the backward tracebelity metrix, but did not listen about the backward testing. So simply i told him i don't know this.
    Maybe this was the reason, i did not get call for the next round of interview.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Usually backwards testing is used to prove a model.

In statistics, (and stocks), you use backwards testing to test your model against historical data to prove your model is accurate.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    thanks for the reply dlai....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Testing the application intended for Higher Version against lower adaptation is called Backward compatibility.An Application/Product created utilizing one variant of a stage ought to still work in a more current rendition of a stage. The Testing that ensures new version of the product to continue to work with the older product is known as Backward similarity testing.

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    An Application/Product developed using one version of a platform should still work in a newer version of a platform. The Testing that ensures new version of the product to continue to work with the older product is known as Backward compatibility testing.

See more and following link.

Backward Compatibility Testing

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Hi Amit,

Backward testing means to ensure that the new versions of application supports all features of previous versions without any issue. A common example is, that a *.doc file created with latest version of MS Office should open in a prior MS Office version as well. All companies dealing in software testing services perform backward compatibility testing.
    Hope this gives better elaboration.

Thanks,
    Sumit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast