I was looked down at workplace for choosing SQA as a career

Hi, after completing my studies in computer sciences, I've just started with the internship as a QA in a software house. It's my 3rd day here, and yesterday I was harassed by a lot of senior developers, as they looked down upon me for choosing QA as career. One of them even said that QA only belongs to dull people, senior/retired people or women. His remarks really disheartened me and I feel demotivated.
    Other employees said that there's not much growth in QA as a career and very little opportunities of making money.

I don't know what to do. Somebody please tell me if I'm doing the right thing by opting for QA as a career?

Hi Shayan Sheikh,

You chose a correct career. Do not worry.

Try reading James Bach's book "lessons learned in the software testing" if possible. Most of your concerns and doubts will be cleared.

For your information James Bach' is one of the very reputed testers in the software testing world.

You can check his very short interview here about his advice for beginner testers Five Testing Questions with James Bach - QA Intelligence

all the best

SQA Knight
    Playa Del Rey, California, United States
    Cheer up, I think when you find what motivates you most, you'll do well.

I do agree in general QA is rough. It has one of the highest burn out of tech professions. What drives me is I take joy in engineering systems that help eliminate annoying tasks QA have to do. I consider myself a solutions engineer.

In terms of career path, there are 2 general directions. 1 way is to go technical, which could be making the lateral jump into dev, or moving into specializations such SDET or Dev Ops. Both are very high in demand and pays more in some area than general development jobs. In my area (In the bay area, both are paying 6 figure salaries). You may also consider Data Science, I have a friend who took the SQL query skills he learned in QA, and learned some basic data mining (Python, R) to make a lateral jump to data scientist. A 2nd way is to go with people and soft skills and move towards management. I've seen QA get business degree or PMP and go into project management. And you also have the option of aiming for a QA management degree.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

I thoroughly enjoy my SQA career and plan on doing so until I retire. Software Quality Engineers are in demand; there is a dearth of SQA people with knowledge of programming, at least in my experience, so they're quickly snapped up by knowledgeable software development companies. I know more than one making 6 figures as Senior Quality Engineers. What makes it the right career is if you enjoy it, find it fulfilling and challenging, and can see yourself doing so for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Shayan Sheikh View Post
    One of them even said that QA only belongs to dull people, senior/retired people or women.
    LOL! Such ignorance. This is wrong on so many levels...

His remarks really disheartened me and I feel demotivated.
    It's best to learn to ignore fools.

Other employees said that there's not much growth in QA as a career and very little opportunities of making money.
    Perhaps they were speaking solely about your company?
    I can tell you having recently retired from a QA career spanning more than 25 years, that they are simply wrong.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Firstly anyone that is so judgemental of a role that they have no first hand experience of is pretty much not worth paying any attention too in my humble opinion. And secondly I have worked in QA for 8 years working my way up from a call centre book peoples airport parking right up to becoming head of QA for a mobile app development company, and I can honestly say I love what I do. I have currently 2 interns who joined here as trainee developers and are pretty much seconded to me 90% of the time, they are great they too are computer science students with aspirations to become developers, yet after I sat with them I helped them understand that they in fact have a unique skill set and mindset over there co-workers moving forward. A lot of the time developers dislike QA professionals (and yes we are professionals) because they see us as a blocker on there work picking holes and being critical, what they do not see and fail to understand is that we are actually helping them improve there skills as they need to take more time and effort in a bid to prevent us from feeding back bugs.

Overall I think you are in a unique position and actually have not set you career path yet in fact you have many times at which you could take another path with extremely valuable knowledge and experience.

Keep your chin up and if you really want to prove them wrong be really thorough and find lots of bugs in there code they will soon leave you alone...trust me lol.

I get that alot too, but let me tell you developers are a dime a dozen and usually easy positions to fill. Whereas QA can be a very specialized technical role which will always be in high demand.
    The thing that gets me is when they try to trove QA off into a special team and appoint a QA manager to look after the testers, but more like a baby sitter role than anything else.