Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Lightbulb Whats on your QA Wiki page?

So my company recently bought in to using Confluence (wiki from Atlassian (Jira)) and I have full control over what ends up in the QA section.

Right now I have just transferred some documentation off the network drive (but linked back to file locations) such as SOPs, work instructions, forms etc.

I also plan on dedicating a section to Jira information (the why, how, who, when etc.) and possibly one for test case/test plan information if we move forward with software I am suggesting. I am the sole QA person aside from my manager who is more safety/document control/procedural kind of QA and not so much software testing, so most of the Wiki information I post will be geared towards the company as a whole and not necessarily QA.

With that, I was hoping to hear what other QA departments out there include in their wiki spaces if they have them available, or even if you don't have one what would you like to include for the rest of the company to have access to?

Testing procedures? Schedules? General Education? a Blog?

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Ok, let me ask this then. In your companies Wiki page in general, what information is there that is useful to QA?

For example, my company is agile based and has a startup mentality. The projects are complex and large but there is really no documentation, is some general use documentation, maybe user story based information, something that can or should be put on a wiki? Is it useful? Who should be adding that information?

I am also still curious about QA specific wiki pages, I know a lot of you use them as I see them references in other posts. My wiki space has taken a back burner recently but am hoping to get some useful information there before the end of the year.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Resputan View Post
    So my company recently bought in to using Confluence (wiki from Atlassian (Jira)) and I have full control over what ends up in the QA section.

Right now I have just transferred some documentation off the network drive (but linked back to file locations) such as SOPs, work instructions, forms etc.

I also plan on dedicating a section to Jira information (the why, how, who, when etc.) and possibly one for test case/test plan information if we move forward with software I am suggesting. I am the sole QA person aside from my manager who is more safety/document control/procedural kind of QA and not so much software testing, so most of the Wiki information I post will be geared towards the company as a whole and not necessarily QA.

With that, I was hoping to hear what other QA departments out there include in their wiki spaces if they have them available, or even if you don't have one what would you like to include for the rest of the company to have access to?

Testing procedures? Schedules? General Education? a Blog?

I think the general rule is anything that gets emailed 2x or more. It's pretty certain someone else in the future will want to see it.

Stuff I have put on our internal CMS...

* Project Workspace
    - Project specs (A living SRS)
    - Test Plans
    - Information Architecture
    - Links to all the artifacts (like test Cases, Jira tickets, etc...)
    - retrospective notes

* QA Space
    - Instructions and download locations of Tools we use in house.
    - High level strategy
    - Directory of people and products they're working on
    - Setup instructions for their automation environment.
    - Info to where to find passwords and access credentials. (reason we don't put passwords in wikis is because it'll be too annoying to manage access control. It's best to use a password manager that works with your company's authentication system)

* Personal Space
    - Stuff I'm researching, potential useful technology.
    - Info from internal hackathon projects
    - RFC's (Request for Comments) - proposals and stuff I'd like the company to review.

*Stuff I don't have on the wiki
    - Test Cases and Results - this is handled by TCM system.
    - Passwords and credentials - use a password manager that works with the corporate auth.
    - Current job tickets - this is done in Jira
    - Full automation setup instructions, I prefer to keep this in a readme that's version controlled with the source code.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile