How to design test cases for this function
Hi kindly all,
I'm a newer of Sqaforum. I've a question about test case design for following function.
Function general is to generate different report during different time period. In this view, if use want to generate a report, he must first, choose a kind report type from report type(eg. the type contains, A,B,C,D) list box;
second, choose the start date from the date picker box ; third, choose the end date from the date picker box;
fourth, click the generate button to create the report which will display its download link in following.
How should I design the test cases for this function?
There's a lot of different ways you can expand on how to test it, The key thing is what types of risk you want to mitigate. Here are some of the things that come to the top of my mind:
1) Functional - You can do some sort of input combinations, such as pairwise testing based on equivalent classes or other combinatory method. Checking expected output.
2) Functional with invalid inputs - Check the error conditions and that they are handled.
3) Reliability - test that function is consistent
4) Usability - Give usability feedback on how easy/hard it is to use.
5) Scalability - test that backend logic supporting the report generator can handle X number of users.
6) Security - test different attack vectors that's applicable for your application.
7) Accuracy - test with different variations on the report seed data. (for example, would a small decimal number cause a rounding error? Would a large number cause a overflow?)
8) Layout/visual - test that for different data, it is formatted correctly. For example, would a large number shift cells around? Are large numbers suppose to be converted? (like 1024 KB, should be 1 MB)
9) (Localization) - if supported, data formats, currency, column/row labels. UI layout, iconography and text.
10) Fault tolerance - What should happen if one or more of the systems go down? Is there redundancy mechanisms that need testing? Is there fallback scenarios that should be tested?
Firstly, thanks very much for your answer. But I want to know if I should design similar date validation conditions test case for every kind report?
Im guessing the developer is using a calendar class. You can ask. If so I might choose to only test the calendar object on. One report.
If the rules for what date ranges are allowed. You may want to check that. For example some reports may not want you to create in the past or future.