Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Looking for a tool...

Hello everyone! I mostly lurk, but this called for a post.

I am looking for a manual testing tool with some pretty strict requirements, and I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I've looked up what I can, but most of the websites for each tool don't give me enough information, and I really don't want to download and install every single tool to figure out what will work for us. If you could provide me with suggestions or experiences, that would be fantastic.

Requirements:
    Track manual Test Cases
    Allow user to take a screenshot for EACH test case. This screenshot MUST be time and date stamped. (Yes. We know the file will be huge. We're highly regulated. It's gotta be this way.)
    Requirements Traceability
    Requirements Tracking
    Export test cases to file - preferably a locked file, but we can work with that if it's not.
    LDAP integration or some form of secure user login
    An nice to have would be Functional requirements that can be 1:1 associated with other requirements.
    More nice to haves would be video options, and custom bug tracker integration.

Do you have a tool that can do all this? Currently, there's no restraint on budget. We know we're asking a lot, but the value of this is near immeasurable compared to our current processes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Hi,

HP QC (now called ALM) will cover everything you need. It is not cheap, but as money is not a worry for you that does not matter. You can now get it as a public SAAS or a private SAAS if you do not want to do the install yourself.

Requirements management is not a strong point of ALM, but depends on what you need it might be enough.
    Richard Hunter

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Thank you Richard. Do you think that is going to be our only option? Ideally, I'd like to present a couple tools to the team to make them feel like they have a choice in the matter ya know?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Pretty much all the high end tools will do most of what you're asking. Microsoft TFS with Visual Studio and MS Test Manager can do this, as can HP.

IBM's Rational suite also offers the full set of features, as does QA Complete.

There's a long listing in the Test Management section of the Ministry of Testing's tools page: Test Tools | Ministry of TestingMinistry of Testing

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Great list Katepaulk

@crentania , One more list Category:Software testing tools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There are new alternatives to the traditional systems

It is true that the more complex solutions cover most of the needs you talked about, but there are newer and more flexible solutions that will also provide you with most of the things you are looking for.

I will come clean and say up front that I work for PractiTest - SaaS Test Case Management and QA Management Tools - PractiTest - (and we develop one of these new SaaS QA Management solutions), but there are other alternatives out there so you better do a quick search for them.

Our solutions provide all the methodological aspects you mentioned above (most times with built-in functionality, and when not by integrating to other systems), are usually a lot simpler to use (so that your users can get to work faster and require less training and internal support), require no management form your side, and are typically a lot less expensive.

Some years ago it was true that only smaller companies and team relied on SaaS solutions, but today companies from all sizes and teams of even hundreds of testers work with solutions of this kind.

Again, in the end you will end up doing the evaluation and the comparison, but I think you should also add these newer alternatives to your list.
    BTW, we have a couple of whitepapers in our site about choosing a QA Management system that may be useful to you. You can download them for free from Five Steps for choosing the right QA Management System - test case management by PractiTest and QA Management System Comparison Table - test case management by PractiTest

I hope this helps!
    -joel
    9 times out 10, less is actually more

PractiTest - QA and Test Management Tool
    QABlog - QA Intelligence Blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Katepaulk its a great list. All the tools were we get it in this link . Choosing testing tools was very challenging .

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Thank you for the lists everyone, but honestly, I have looked at each list, I have looked at all the tools' websites, and their websites simply do not give enough information for me to confirm our necessities without installing a demo of each and every one. That's not going to happen. So user feedback would be more preferable. I've only used simple automation tools before, and have never had a need for a system that handles requirements and test cases, and does the manual test cases.

I'm really just trying to avoid calling a ton of salesmen and having them give me the "We can do it ALL!" only to hear that this will be a special script, and that will have to be ordered from a different vendor... We need ONE solution. Not a myriad of little pieces strung together, which is what we have now. It's not efficient, and it wastes our time.
    Last edited by crentania; 07-17-2013 at 02:53 PM.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Definitely possible with enterprise tools like MS TFS, HP QC, IBM Rational Suites. But you may require the custom implementation. You can make few cases and verify it.
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    http://tips-testing.blogspot.com/index.html
    Quote: Donít hesitate to initiate!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Almost out of the box, TFS with Microsoft Test Manager can do everything in your list.

I say almost, because it requires TFS to be fully configured and integrated with a SharePoint server as well as optionally integrated with the MS project server. You also need the right project template.

Track manual Test Cases - built into TFS/MS Test Manager by default. (2012.2 or higher)
    Allow user to take a screenshot for EACH test case. This screenshot MUST be time and date stamped - Screenshotting is built into MTM. The screenshot itself is not date/time stamped, but the test run is, and the screenshot is associated to the test run. Alternatively, you can modify your screenshots after taking them to add a date/time stamp. It may be possible to configure MTM to include a date/time stamp with all screenshots: I haven't investigated.
    Requirements Traceability - Once the requirements are in TFS, they can be linked to your test cases as they're created in MTM, or you can create test cases from the requirements in MTM.
    Requirements Tracking - This is covered by the TFS reports - if the out of the box reports don't meet your needs you can define custom reports (I'm not familiar with how to do this, though).
    Export test cases to file - preferably a locked file, but we can work with that if it's not. - TFS has a built in export to Excel function. I have no idea if it locks or not. I also don't know what other exporting is available.
    LDAP integration or some form of secure user login - TFS/MTM works with this (windows only - you define in TFS which network users/groups have which access levels).
    An nice to have would be Functional requirements that can be 1:1 associated with other requirements. - You can set this up in TFS.
    More nice to haves would be video options, and custom bug tracker integration - TFS can integrate with other bug trackers, or you can use the built in tracker that comes with TFS and create your bugs directly from the testing console (which builds in all the connections). Video options aren't exactly "video options", more what they call an "action recording" which is basically record/playback of tester actions - very handy for the tester who's got to use the same login and navigation 50 times to perform 50 test cases involving a feature of the system that's only available after logging in.

Testlink is the other tool I have familiarity with - this can do everything you listed, but it's a lot more complex and some of your must-haves need to be handled procedurally rather than via the application.

Track manual Test Cases - built into TestLink
    Allow user to take a screenshot for EACH test case. This screenshot MUST be time and date stamped - you can attach anything to a TestLink test case, but you'd have to use a screenshot application and handle this procedurally.
    Requirements Traceability & Tracking - TestLink allows the creation of a "requirements suite" which can then be used to generate test cases and trace.
    Export test cases to file - preferably a locked file, but we can work with that if it's not. - would need to be done via the API
    LDAP integration or some form of secure user login - Testlink uses a web login - you can secure this and set whatever rules around it you want (being open source, you can modify the code if you need to)
    An nice to have would be Functional requirements that can be 1:1 associated with other requirements. - This should be doable through the requirements suite
    More nice to haves would be video options, and custom bug tracker integration - With TestLink this would have to be procedural and/or API based.

I don't know the other tools well enough to say if these will do everything you need - and I completely understand your reluctance to try all of them to see!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast