Dear Colleagues.

As a developer with over 20 years of experience, I occasionally find it challenging to understand a reported bug iand what exactly the QA engineer did to produce the error or anomaly. I have developed a tool that I believe could add tremendous value by improving the way QA engineers convey and record every detail and sequence of events during a test session.

To fix a bug, developers desperately are looking for more data; some generated events and application log files or anything they could get from the underlying test environment such as the machine hardware and software configuration, installed application, running processes, any file or registry activities or any log files or event generated during the test session. In addition it would be nice if they could get a step by step instruction as to how the QA engineer found the bug along with some screenshots. It seems like a tedious task for any QA person to write down every specific detail about the system and the activity taken place. In my experience some of these information get lost in translation causing more ambiguities.

This new product, named TestStation is a tool that can do all that! Here it how it works:

It runs in the background before the QA user starts the testing session, it records the screen (like a video, not just screenshots) and it captures all system activities during the test session. At the end of the session the user can stop recording and TestStation bundles all collected data into a single compressed file and give to the developer or includes it as an attachment to the bug report.

The developer can open the same compressed file using TestStation and he/she can see exactly what the QA person did and get detail data about the test machine's hardware and software configuration, examine all collected log files and generated events and all file changes. The developer can even see all the network packets during the test session and also play back, like a movie, the test machine screen revealing what exactly the QA person did and the steps that were taken leading to the error! No confusions, no guess works!

I have shown this to a few QA friends of mine and they believe it makes their task easier. I would like to know what you guys on the forum think about this and what feature or improvements would you like to see in this product.

You can run an evaluation copy of this at TestStation Home Page

Thanks in advance.

Mark Bidar
Realcode Development, Inc.