Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Movement from Waterfall to Agile

Good Morning the good people of SQAF,

I hope you are all well.

This is my first post and many apologies if i have mis-understood the rules of posting.

I have been a tester for approximately 4 years and I am now a QA Test Lead (3 months).

To give you background, I have previously worked on testing the creation of new software and also in the changes to existing software. Using "Agile" and "Traditional Waterfall" methodologies respectively and they worked perfectly (relatively) well in both occasions.

My current employer wants to move from Waterfall to Agile in testing changes to existing software and I''m not 100% convinced that this is the way to progress. This will be a huge culture change in the company and will need a whole new mindset.

I'm trying to convince those in management levels above me that the current processes we have can be tweaked and improved to bring in faster turnaround and that moving to Agile will not be in the best interests of the company or the testing/QA department.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Agile is a very high level set of principles for s/w development. The word agile means quick in movement; nimble. Who wouldn't want to be that? The tricky bit is how it's applied. What are the companies requirements? Why do they think Waterfall is letting them down and what to they expect Agile to deliver?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Hi SimonFromLeeds,

Thanks for your reply.

Agile seems to be a bit of a buzz word at the moment. All they want (as far as I can make out) is faster delivery / release of products.

As I said, I think tweaking of the current processes, identifying bottlenecks etc will make the department as a whole more nimble (agile). It's just trying to package this as Agile rather than a light version of Waterfall.

They want faster releases and quicker testing cycles but with all the associated paperwork (Test Approach / Strategy / Plan / Incident Reports / UAT Feedback / Test Activity Reports / Test Metrics and Test Completion Reports)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinmiller View Post
    Hi SimonFromLeeds,
    Agile seems to be a bit of a buzz word at the moment. All they want (as far as I can make out) is faster delivery / release of products.
    Not really, Agile is not just a buzz word. It's about cutting clutter and getting down to what actually needs to be done. It's a change of priorities.

In a somewhat modified waterfall release cycle and I can tell you that we spend about 80% of time doing test prep and maintenance, 20% of the time is spent actually testing. Because of all the documentation and approvals required I find quality gets driven down pretty far each release cycle. I feel like my manual testing skills drop because we spend so much time reviewing requirements (I only hold meetings for 30 minutes; although that is not the corporate norm) and writing our test scripts. Having a well documented process is actually good given the size of our system and the high turn over rate of Quality Analysts. But you can be agile and have lots of documentation too, and I've been going against the grain and doing what I believe is best for quality.

When I re-prioritize my tasks I focus on the Pareto principle (80% of issues in 20% of the code), providing immediate feedback to the developers, and creating efficient test scripts (all my test script "prototypes" have been rejected by the approval process so far). It's always an uphill battle because of the documentation, approvals and scheduling requirements. If I was in your position, I would focus on incremental changes to improve efficiency.

My point is Agile is a real development approach. It's about doing things in a way that are more efficient. It's been a process in manufacturing for years.
    Last edited by cybersurf; 11-23-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    Software Testing, Second Edition: "Intelligently weighing the risks and reducing the infinite possibilities to a manageable effective set is where the magic is."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    So ya, I basically just repeated what you said...
    Last edited by cybersurf; 11-23-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    Software Testing, Second Edition: "Intelligently weighing the risks and reducing the infinite possibilities to a manageable effective set is where the magic is."