Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

User Stories

Hi folks

I would like to know how you deal with user stories? I mean, do you log them in a spreadsheet? We are using JIRA and there is a issue type called User Stories, but I think it might be an overhead to log every User Stories in a separated issue. We have a bunch of scenarios and I'm not sure if it's a good thing to log 200+ issues in JIRA. How do you deal with a big amount of user stories?

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: User Stories

Are you referring to post delivery(Production)defects or short stories & jokes from some users?
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Are you referring to post delivery(Production)defects or short stories & jokes from some users?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm betting that the request was of user stories within the context of requirements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_story

"User stories are a quick way of handling customer requirements without having to create formalized requirement documents and without performing administrative tasks related to maintaining them. The intention of the user story is to be able to respond faster and with less overhead to rapidly changing real-world requirements."
    Jason Trebilcock

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place."

-George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright and Nobel Prize winner, 1856-1950

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Gee thanks, but I was sort of expecting the poster to answer with his understanding of the term.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Generally user stories are broken down small enough they can serve as a simple change request. I think it make sense to make every user story into a issue/change request. It'll allow the developer to associate their changes to specific stories, and allow testing to close on the issue after they have been verified and delivered.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm referring to the requirements from the user. Since we are in a Agile development process model,we have many requirements and specifications from the user that we need to "certify". My point is that we have way too many cases to log them individually in our tool for example, I'm wondering how you guys handle a bunch of User Stories.

More like what JCTreb said. I'm really wondering how you handle many scenarios. I cannot see how to manage hundreds of issue like this.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You'll have hundreds, but in any sprint, you're only suppose to have a small subset of stories you can finish within a sprint in progress.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We are using Agile and Scrum. We put our user stories in JIRA, it's worth it. We use the Greenhopper extension to help with the Scrum management. There's a JIRA import that can get User Stories from a spreadsheet into JIRA.

We create testing sub-tasks to the user stories.

Agile prompts change, in our environment that's hard to manage, JIRA helps us do that a spreadsheet would be a poor substitute.

What are your requirements for JIRA/a spreadsheet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hey thanks Simon. How many User Stories ~ do you have in JIRA?

I'm not sure I understand your question properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi, for the current release we have about twelve themes of work, which are described in ~ 200 issues in JIRA as Epics (big stories). They get broken down into User Stories before the Scrum teams work on them. A normal Epic breaks into between 4-8 User Stories.

We have set up the themes in the "Component/s:" field in JIRA

We find the hierarchy helpful:

Theme --> Epic --> User Story

And we aim for discipline! Each User Story must be linked to an Epic, each Epic must have a Theme selected.

We use the “Fix Version/s:” field to track if a User Story is ready, shaped, INVEST reviewed and estimated; taken into a sprint or complete.

This means we can track the burn-up (and down!) of the work, but have visibility of outstanding backlog for the release. By the end of this release we’ll have ~200 JIRA issues as Epics and ~ 1,200 issues as User Stories. But that’s what’s working for us.

My question to you was to ask how will you be running SCRUM? Your question was “How do you deal with a big amount of user stories?”, really you need to understand the lifecycle of a user story, within the context of a release, and see if JIRA will help you manage that lifecycle. I’ve tried to highlight how we’re using "Component/s:", linking and “Fix Version/s:” within JIRA to manage the lifecycle of a user story.

Hope that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast