Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Long term career goal in QA/testing

Hi,

I started my career as a web developer but due to personal reasons I had to stop working for couple of years and joined as software tester , I have been working in the QA department for more than 7 years I worked as a contractor so I got to learn different types of testing including creating automation scripts, database testing and web testing. Currently I am working as a QA lead.

Please let me know by your personal experience what are the options I have to grow in QA career and what should I be learning for my career.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Long term career goal in QA/testing

Like any other technical career, the options are endless. Some include:
    - grow into a more senior QA position
    - grow into management
    - leave QA for a related field
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I would advise in taking some management courses to help build your skill set outside of the technical realm. That would open up endless possibilities while doing what you love to do, testing!
    SR

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You can go more into leadership, or more into technical..

Leadership..
    * Test Lead
    * Test Manager
    * Test Director

Technical
    * Automation Engineer
    * Sofware Engineer in Test / Software Developer in Test
    * Test Architect
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you all for your advise,

Likwid - Can you please suggest any particular management courses to take.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There are a multitude of management courses online, if you are still in school, then you have an advantage because you can quiz your advisor on the best course. If you aren't in school, you can try to take a night course! If you are looking for a certification, the PMP is probably your ultimate goal. However, it does take a significant amount of previous management hours to get that cert.
    SR

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi David,
    Can you please elaborate the roles of these Designations.
    Leadership..
    * Test Lead
    * Test Manager
    * Test Director

Technical
    * Automation Engineer
    * Sofware Engineer in Test / Software Developer in Test
    * Test Architect

I am almost 5 years in QA and am seriously looking to build my skillsets in QA.

Thanks in advance!
    Vivek Agarwal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Vivek,

I'll tell how I understand those titles. Others may correct.

The leadership position names and responsabilities vary from one company to the other, especially when the size varies.

From what I've seen, a test lead is usually a person who shares her time between testing, mentoring and managing the tasks of a group of testers. She's supposed to have a sharp technical knowledge on the project, as well as a vision of how her team is fufiling the objectives.

A Test Manager is responsible for defining test strategies, allocating the resources from her group, making sure that her group has access to the relevant resources, interfacing with Senior management, and managing her team from a HR point of view.

A Test Director in my experience is like a Test Manager. Then again I haven't worked in really big companies.

Titles for technical positions are even more confusing.

You could be called an Automation Engineer or Softwate Engineer/Developer in Test as soon as you spend a consequent time creating automation scripts.

You could share your time between manual testing/automation scripting, or be 100% dedicated to automation. You could use GUI based tools to automate, or write tests in good old C (well, most likely a higler level language).
    You could build an automation framework from scratch, or join a group where it's already mature to the point you rarely need to update the framework itself (or someone else does it).

Which leads us to Test Architect: responsible for designing test automation(as opposed to implementing it). However I haven't worked in a place where the automation was so big that the design/implementation work was split to different people. Or maybe it's just that they weren't willing to spend their $$$ on a test architect.