Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Are QA contracting firms harming the profession

I see many organizations killing their QA these days because of repeated contracts for QA purchased (it would seem) the least capable, lowesst value provider because they wowed management with everything they could so for a miniscule rate per hour. The net result was an ever diminishing value to the QA organization and enventually dev and ops collided together and decided it was cheaper to just fix the defects in production since QA was delivering such low value.

The trend began with Performance QA but now I am seeing it with functional QA as well. Security QA seems to be isolated from this, likely due to a very high standard in the form of the CISSP in that area.

Anyone else running up against this?
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Are QA contracting firms harming the profession

No.

I hire a qualified staff and augment that with qualified contractors. It's my job to ensure that everyone delivers the proper level of value to my business.

If that doesn't happen, I wouldn't blame the contracting firms, I'd blame myself.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I haven't had to deal with a contract out for awhile, but then we got pretty good value since we stayed on top of them and made sure they knew exactly what we wanted. Personally I am skeptical of anything that tends to provide more for less, since in my experience you tend to get the opposite.
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Speaking as a Contractor/Consultant I can say Yes and No. Yes, because of the plethora of 'body shop' firms out there that are low ball bidding and sending out unqualified people to do the work.

But that is true for any industry where you have a bunch of people jumping in trying to make a quick buck. Or companies that are just looking for the cheapest labor solution. This part of the 'commoditization' of our line of work. The Developers are feeling this too.

Now for the No points. No, because the truely good people are able to prove their worth and bill rates. Also, they are working towards advancing the profession and improving how we do our work. But there are fewer of us, and as part of that we have to constantly work through all the crap. Of course, when haven't we had to deal with a bunch of crap?

I think there is a balance coming back to the profession. And this is because companies are starting to realize that any warm body (and cheap one) isn't going to get the job done in regards to testing. And this can affect their bottom line, which they don't want. For those companies that don't realize the value we provide, well they will either be limping along or dead. Not that testing is the cure-all silver bullet, but that we are now a key part of the process of getting a product built.

At least that is my delusional opinion, and I'm sticking to it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Understandably many firms will only provide what the company asks or demands. I know if I am able to get on the front end of the process poor performers never get thought the gates. These days I am getting lots of ops calls for diagnostics in production where QA has been dismissed altogether for the low value. Granted, a lot of this is self-imposed by the firms involved, but the companies and managers take no responsibility and cast a big glossy hand wave against the low value of QA organizations in general (rather than against the firms that they have chosen over and over again).
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    The net result was an ever diminishing value to the QA organization and enventually dev and ops collided together and decided it was cheaper to just fix the defects in production since QA was delivering such low value.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are many companies that believe in delivering straight to production, but this is mainly driven by the nature of how the product is sold. If you're offering a free service free of service level contracts, like facebook, you have the luxury of just releasing your new code to a small subset of customers and gradually roll it out. Because they have a good roll back procedure, they can easily undo any damage they caused. Social media companies enjoy the extra benefit of datamining, if say a bunch of people start commenting saying, "This feature sucks", or "Facebook ate my pictures!", etc... it can sent an alert to someone to inspect that feature, and pull out the code immediately file a fix.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile