Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

testing with different enviorments

our company needs to test on dev -> sqa ->production. since parallel multiple projects(different features&components for same product)development are very common in our company, there are differences between each enviornment such as host alias pointers, mysql port numbers, db schema differences, db topology differences, etc ..configure the scripts to accomodate each enviornment becomes painful and less efficient.

how to find ways to streamline the testing of codes between environments, considering these differences becomes a question we badly need a solution.

Any advice and suggestion?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: testing with different enviorments

I'm not really sure I understand which problem you are trying to solve here...

Using Virtual Machines is a typical way to have more environments without much more hardware.

That's what we do for the myriad of projects we usually have going at any one time.

Does that help?
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: testing with different enviorments

thanks for the quick response Joe!
    sorry for my vague question.

i think the question is how to "Manage" differences in codes to improve the testing efficiency and accuracy.

for example, a new data schema required for a new component have been deoployed on sqa but not on production yet. at the same time, another feature is under testing and will be put on production before this new component. so to test on sqa, developers have to temporarily modify the code and testing scripts to make the second feature be able to work along the first one. then when it passed sqa testing, we need to modify the codes again to accomodate the difference on production.

sometimes we got failed testing result and after spending time into digging, we found it's the parameter configuration issues instead of real issue of the codes.

the smiliar problem happens during our maintenance when we change host alias pointers/ mysqlport ect.

the problem we are having now is we have to modify the scripts to accomodated to the difference between those enviornment and due to the nature of human error, we always cannot get it right without quite a few rounds of failure, it's frustrating.

I want to know any good paractise for tester and developer to handle this problem better.