Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Is \'Customer Acceptance Form\' a good practice?

I am recently being part of a team, defining 'Process' for a new project.

During a meeting where it was decided the Documents and Deliverable, I suggested that 'Customer Acceptance Form (CAF)' can be a good document asset. From Developers perspective it would work as an agreement, that all that was asked by customer is delivered and is as per his/her needs. From Customer's perspective too it is medium of tracking when, what, and how was a feature delivered (specially, when the development method used is iterative).

My aim to post this here, is to know about Others view on this, if it is just a redundant document? We already have other documents which can fulfill the tracking needs, and so is it necessary to have one more form which might be just a waste of time?

Or if CAF is a good suggestion, what should be included in this form?
    -> Company/Customer details
    -> Release/Build details
    -> Acceptance environment
    -> Major feature/functions of the release
    -> Ratings (based on accuracy what was expected and what is actually delivered)
    -> Approvals

What more should be it's part?

Thanks in advance,
    Mash
    -Mash

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Is \'Customer Acceptance Form\' a good practice?

Mash, hard to say. This is just a tiny slice of process, the rest of your processes, how and what your building will determine if this is an asset. With any new process, ask yourself how it delivers value.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It sounds like the purpose of this document is to make it more difficult for the customer to come back and say something has not been delivered or say that they will need a specific fix.

Don't you already have a document that outlines the agreed upon content for a release?

If the customer ends up finding a bug after they have accepted the release isn't it really your responsiblity to do the "right thing" and deliver a fix to them.

I think having a document like this could end up causing ugly discussions about who pays for what. Which, in the long run, could damage the business relationship altogether.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    If the customer ends up finding a bug after they have accepted the release isn't it really your responsiblity to do the "right thing" and deliver a fix to them.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's usually defined contractually.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    What more should be it's part?

[/ QUOTE ]
    You might want to run this by your legal department (or at least your folks who write up your contracts).

Sometimes this is part of a Statement of Work that is standard boilerplate for your company.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What is not clear from this thread is whether your customers are internal or external.

If internal, beware of creating an adversarial relationship. If external, as Joe pointed out, it is a legal and contractual matter, not something that the testers (or developers) can simple "dream up."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    From Developers perspective it would work as an agreement, that all that was asked by customer is delivered and is as per his/her needs.

[/ QUOTE ]
    In an Agile process this should be included in the Task Delivery, but as a document would also potentially change a bit as the Customer's desires were adjusted during a Sprint. I'd echo earlier questions and wonder if this was not already covered in existing contracts and is this just another place to collect information you already have?
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout