Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Importance of protocols and scripts for QA Analyst

Hello,

I am relatively new to the QA world. Worked as System Test Engineer at Motorola for 4 years for Wimax Technology until got laid off this year. Now studying automation (QTP) and other QA topics.

Is anybody knows, how important to know HTTP protocol, HTML, CSS, and Javascript to QA Analyst?

I thought that QA Analyst don't really need to know the code of application.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Importance of protocols and scripts for QA Analyst

I actually asked this question on the sqa.stackexchange site.

http://sqa.stackexchange.com/q/616/453

Generally speaking, the answer is "it depends"... what exactly is it that you expect the tester to do?

There are EXCELLENT testers who can rip apart an application who don't know much at all about the code that is behind it. There are EXCELLENT testers who use their knowledge of the code to be able to target and focus their tests to critical areas.

For me, personally, I've found that knowing the code helps me be aware of what is going on in the application so that, when faced with a "black box" situation, I can give a general guess to the logic behind the scenes and design tests to expose any potential flaws.
    -Robert Martin
    Automated Testing Evangelists
    TestComplete "expert"
    Definition expert - noun - Unknown drip under pressure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    For me, personally, I've found that knowing the code helps me be aware of what is going on in the application so that, when faced with a "black box" situation, I can give a general guess to the logic behind the scenes and design tests to expose any potential flaws.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I've found the same true of my DBA background.
    Mary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the answer. Now I have a better idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

OK, There are some excellent ideas on black box testing, well beyond the demeaning and rather simple view of black box testing some folk hold, presented in AST "Black Box Software Testing" Foundations course. It is a hard course that makes you think. No letters to claim after you take the exam, then again, simply "passing" the exam does not mean you will pass the course - participation in exercises is essential.

The gist is, when testing, what is the scope and mission of your assignment? Identifying what you need to do will vary based on what your mission is. This changes everything - and provides insite that some folk have not considered.

This ties back to the "it depends" resolution from stackexchange, I suspect. It may not satisfy the search for a firm answer, clear cut yes or no, but if is fairly reasonable, and realistic.