Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

report requirements

I have been tasked with gathering report requirements for a particular application. I already know that the data needed most likely is not be collected correctly to produce these reports and the outcome will include process changes. I am asking the first stage to the higher director level in the department. This is a list of questions I am sending them prior to the interview.
    What questions are being asked that cannot be answered? (Why, What's missing)

What reports do you use today and how important are they? How complete are they?
    What are some of the metrics you are looking for?
    What are you trying to measure?

How often do you measure this?

Why are you measuring this?

Who provides the current reports?

Do I need more questions during the interview to help get out of them what they want in the way of reports?

I am struggling with this but it is very important or I will end up with garbage.

Help

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: report requirements

I'm confused.

Why are you asking questions about metrics? What does that have to do with these reports?

Perhaps I don't understand what you mean by "metrics" in this context. Can you clarify?
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

So as to not ruffle to many feathers, I would suggest you go over these with your direct supervisor. Requesting so many levels of management to discuss this with you might be considered a bad strategy. You might get better results by posing these questions to each person on an individual level. Just my thoughts on the subject. You know your position much better than I.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Don't most (business) reports report metrics of one sort or another? Even a balance sheet could reasonably be considered "metrics."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I guess anything could be considered a metric.

Since the word "metric" often (usually?) means something different in a testing context, I was trying to understand what bmf15 means by that term here.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

bmf15, on reading your post again, it looks as if the task you are asking about is really outside the traditional software QA/testing field. If you are gathering requirements, this seems to be a Business Analyst's function (even if it after implementation [of the reports].) As such, it is somewhat off-topic for these forums, whose members are , for the most part, in the software testing (and possibly QA) field.

Ah - I see your title is IT Manager. So you probably are, indeed, performing the role of BA.