Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Fed up with QA Jobs

I'm getting tired of working on projects for 6 months to a year and getting let go due to either the project being finished or the company downsizing or outsourcing QA. Is there any other jobs that are more stable with similar compensation that QAs have branched of to? Is IT/helpdesk generally a better place to go for one desiring longer careers/benefits. I am based in the Los Angeles market and as of late, the only positions i've seen senior qa engineers (which require development background) and tend to be more like release engineers rather than QA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Fed up with QA Jobs

IT jobs that are more stable than QA? I'm not sure they exist these days.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I've never encountered this so I must be lucky with the positions I have taken.

Are these temp spots or contracting positions that end with the project?
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am with Michael - I have been working in QA for close to 20 years and only laid off once, but that was a risk along with me taking a high paying position with a start-up, that just didn't actually get started like we all hoped.

Now, if you are working contract, and being in CA (I am down in OC), you are going to have to get use to the change. I am not a lawyer and the following statements are based on the information I am getting from our dealings with contract workforce

Thanks to situations with long term contractors suing to obtain the same benefits as full time employers over the last few years, CA companies are adopting much stricter rules around the contract workforce. It is going to be near impossible for a contact worker to be retained at any company for longer than 11-12 months. Beyond that, courts have started considering them the same as a full time employee. Companies in the past year have been converting those long term contractors that retain knowledge or experience which is crucial to the company, and rolling off all others. If replaced with contingent workers, there is a '11 month, 29 days' type approach to expectations to the resource being around.

I see contractors being brought on for 'up to 12 months' and companies are really looking at and strictly defining the needs. If the need is a project, and the project is complete, they aren't looking for another position for the contract to fill to keep them, but roll them off as the need is no longer apparent. There is also going to be separation times required to come back in as a contingent for the same company.

Now if your situation is you are being hired as an associate/full time employee and you are encountering this, I haven't seen that tend either. Even with outsourcing QA functions still requires (or should if done correctly) core strong associates to ensure the direction being taken is correct with the offshore companies.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I forgot to add that I have had two full time positions, one lasting over 2 years, and the other a little under 1 year. My recruiters say that 'QA has been hit hard' during the recession, and I can't find a job full time or contract. The ones I interview, I do well, but they have so many other candidates that I never get selected.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

BearFan,

You're going to need to figure out how to differentiate yourself from the flock and then sell yourself based on that. Test/QA has become even more commoditized and competitive in my experience (and viewpoint) over the last 7-10 years.

Yes, there has been a fallout of people in the ranks. But they have been replaced by a wave of newbies every time. And the requirement for more engineering/development skill background is increasing due to the demand/need for people to implement and do the Unit Testing work that Agile has made so popular. Which isn't a bad thing as it gets the management to start thinking of testing as a real and necessary function. But you do need some of those skill sets in this day and age.

Another thing you can consider is the System and End-User testing realm. Companies need people who can plan and run that type of testing too. So if you are more business oriented that could be a selling point.

Finally, just to throw the gas on the fire, you will be competing with people from offshore (both local and offshore) because of the drive to the bottom by some companies and business people for the labor costs. A way to deal with that is to show the 'value' you bring to the company for the 'cost' they will incur for you. This is part of your 'sales pitch' during the interview.

Personally if the potential company (FTE or contract) is going to basically just try to beat me down on my salary/rate then I don't want to work there because they will be cheap in every other aspect. Those companies are usually the quickest to layoff their staff in spite of themselves. But these companies have always existed.

Anyway... good luck, keep your chin up and hope you find a job soon.
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    the only positions i've seen senior qa engineers (which require development background)

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience the senior QA engineer positions don't require development background but do require experience with automation. I have been working with automation for close to 10 years and I would not say I have a development background.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

I'm getting tired of working on projects for 6 months to a year and getting let go due to either the project being finished or the company downsizing or outsourcing QA. Is there any other jobs that are more stable with similar compensation that QAs have branched of to?

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your passion, interest and goal for career? If unsure,Do a self check on www.businessballs.com.

Do not be disheartend. Once a wise man said(not remebering exact phrase or person, sorry)

"It Will Never Be A Pain To Do What You Love To Do, however Ensure You Get Paycheck out of it."
    Kind regards,
    Anand Tambey

RSS Feed : Break To Make it Better
    A Lazy person could be the best automation professional, if he is not lazy in implementing his ideas to reduce his work. ~Anand Tambey

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

@BearFan

Businessballs link as in above post:-

Multiple Intelligence Test

So may be you can find where your possible areas to explore and utilize for current job as well as finding new one.
    Kind regards,
    Anand Tambey

RSS Feed : Break To Make it Better
    A Lazy person could be the best automation professional, if he is not lazy in implementing his ideas to reduce his work. ~Anand Tambey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Anand, your sig is almost always longer than your posts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast