Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Emigrating to the US - advice needed!

Hi

I've a question that I'm struggling to get answered anywhere else, so figured I'd turn to "Old Faithful" since it's related in some sense [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Apologies if this is not the correct location for this kind of question, I registered on QAJobs but there didn't seem to be a forum, instead just a list of jobs. My question is not role specific, more for general advice and guidance.

I'm an experienced QA professional with 10 years experience, the last 4 in a management position working in banking. My wife is a civil servant working for the British government, with an equivalent amount of experience and also in a managerial role. We do not have children. We have both wanted to work overseas for quite some time now but real life has somehow always found a way to distract us from this, as it has a tendency to do! However, we're now in a good position to make a serious effort to making this come true.

Ideally, we are looking to find work in similar fields to what we are doing now in the USA, but the approach to doing this seems to quite opaque - research on emigration sites tends to focus on "get a visa" but it doesn't say how, what kind etc. Most places assume you are to be sponsored by your current organisation and don't tell you how to do it "from scratch" as it were.

Ideally we would be looking for a short term working visa for 3 to 5 years, although we do have the expectation that over time we'd be keen to make the move permanent.

What I'm hoping people can help with is two-fold - firstly, general advice, maybe from ex-pats, about how best to approach a move like this, both in terms of securing employment and actually making the move. Secondly, and much more specific to this board, in terms of seeking employment in the US, what is the best approach to take? I know all the usual job hunting websites in the UK and have built up a range of contacts over the years, but tackling the US is like starting afresh with no idea where to look! I'm hesitant to simply "shotgun" my resumé out on any old job site, and would prefer to tailor applications to specific recruiters and roles where possible. Essentially, I guess my question to our North American colleagues is "how do you approach finding a new role"? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Again, apologies if this is against the ToS for this forum but I simply can't find a better place to ask. I'm not actively posting my resumé etc., it is very much a generalised question, but if there is a better place to post this please do let me know. Naturally, my resumé is available on request!

Many thanks in advance,

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Emigrating to the US - advice needed!

Honestly, not the best time to be trying to come here.

From what I know you have three options,
    1. Work visa, I believe you need to have a position in place first, you need to get this on your own from the Embassy.
    2. Sponsorship, which means the company cannot find anyone in the US to fulfill the job, they would sponsor you and deal with your visa needs. However, most companies will basically abuse you until you are done with the process, I've seen it with a few people years ago, and these days I think its hard to justify no one will take the job.
    3. Green Card lottery, but I have no idea how this works.
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I might suggest you go to the multitude of Job sites like Dice, QAJobs.com, Monster, etc. and start applying. With your experience and the understanding that you do not want to be relocated by the company but that you will handle that yourself, then you should stand a decent chance of finding a sponsor. The issue with that is that many companies are specifying that they will not sponsor non-US workers at this time. But normally they post that along with the job description.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Dont do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Is there any chance your wife could find work with the British government here? If she could find a position here then it may make it easier for you to obtain a work visa.
    -Troy
    Do or do not... there is no try. -Yoda

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Honestly, Unemployment in the US is at historic highs. Those of us currently living here have hard times finding jobs, and it gets harder the more experience you have - managers seem to be better than say VPs, but it's pretty bad. I'm in Utah, where we have a relatively stable economy (maybe half the drops the rest of the US has had?) and QA postings last maybe a few days (the position I'm in was filled in less than a week).
    I echo the previous statements above, now is not the time to go for US jobs. If you're looking to work overseas, you may want to look over a different sea [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Green Card lottery is no option as the UK is not qualified to participate UNLESS you are born in Northern Ireland OR you are born outside the UK in a country that is qualified to participate (e.g. Denmark, Germany, e.t.c.).

Emigrating via work visa would be H1B. In this economy, it should be very difficult to find an employer who sponsors you such a visa.

Another opton would be working for a multinational corporation and then being transferred from an UK location to a US location within the company.

US comapnies tend to ignore resumes from outside the US.
    The best ways would be via contacts (you know someone who works for a US company e.t.c.) or direct face-to-face-contacts (read: fly to the US and visit some jo fairs).

However, as long as there are hundrets of candidates for each openeing, it is highly unlikely that an employer will sponsor you a visa.

My suggestions:
    - Green Card lotttery (if one of you is born in a country that is eglible to participate)
    - Change to an employer who is both UK- as well as US-based
    - Start visiting job fairs in the US (after the current crisis is over).

Best regards,
    Roland

(PS: I won in the GC-lottery)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Many thanks for the advice and apologies for the delay in replying - it's been a mammoth couple of weeks at work recently!

The advice is very helpful indeed, and although the "don't do it" advice isn't what I wanted to hear it definitely will be factoring into my decision.

I appreciate the UK is a different story but when I started looking around for options over here - specifically US organisations with a UK arm with the idea of transferring over in a couple of years - although the market is not the best it's been I was quite surprised at the amount of roles available. I'd heard doom and gloom stories but the reality was surprisingly good, and therefore assumed the US would be at least as good if not better.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I do not say "Don't do it".

It's just that for a work visa (H1B), *currently* it would be extremely diffucult to find an employer who is willed to spend a lot of time and money to go through the visa process.

But there is nothing wrong with starting at a company that has offices both in the US and in the UK.

Or, once the crisis is over, to start visiting job fairs in order to find an employer willed to sponsor a visa.

Good luck,
    Roland

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    It's just that for a work visa (H1B), *currently* it would be extremely diffucult to find an employer who is willed to spend a lot of time and money to go through the visa process.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was true even when the market was good.

So what happened was the rise of the 'bodyshopper'. companies in consulting who would recruit candidates overseas , process their H1Bs, send them over to the US. and then market them / put them in a position. so ultimately you 'work' for an MNC, but area actually an employee of the 'bodyshopper' who operates out of a suite in New Jersey. After a few years of working for the consulting company, you usually found a direct employer who transfers your H1b on.

atleast that was the theory

In recent days even bodyshoppers are finding it difficult with the USCIS - namely in getting the H1B petitions approved. USCIS has been cracking down on the bodyshoppers - they wont approve the visa without an offer letter in hand for a project.

Indian companies are very prolific in this business - thus you will see a lot of resentment on job boards against "h1Bs"

One possible way is to try through an IT major - Wipro, TCS, HP, Deloitte etc come to mind who take H1s from a foreign country send them to teh US and then put them in an assignment there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast