Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Pseudo Translation Testing

Can someone tell me whether pseudo translation introduces any new functional bugs in the application?

Is it enough to test UI as part of pseudo translation without running functional scenarios?

Also pl. point any links that tell what is to be tested for pseudo translation???

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Pseudo Translation Testing

It's hard to say definitively if functional bugs may be introduced, or if UI testing is enough, without knowing a lot about the application.

For example, a text resource that is displayed in the UI, may also be passed along to another application that isn't prepared for a translated string. This would usually be bad development practice, but it happens.

Also see: http://www.sqablogs.com/jstrazzere/285/P...on+Testing.html
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Pseudo Translation Testing

As Joe gets at, there is a potential for localized strings to cause new functional bugs. In my opinion, the risk is low, probably very low.

I'll go ahead and stick my neck out on this one and I'll say that the primary goal of my own localisation testing is to uncover interface errors, not functional errors.

I think that the extent of your localisation testing should be directly tied to your schedule and where it ranks with the rest of your priorities and the associated risks.

IMO, if you're using pseudo-translation or localisation then you should be able to feel in extreme strings which will maximize your opportunity for error. As far as digging for new errors in a translated system, I would be careful not to let this become your primary objective.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------