Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Report verification

I am testing a reporting tool which generates 5 reports.
    If I verfiy that the data and formulas for calculations are correct, do I have to restest everything again on the next release of the tool?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Report verification

[ QUOTE ]
    If I verfiy that the data and formulas for calculations are correct, do I have to restest everything again on the next release of the tool?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Here are some things to consider:
    Which tool?
    What is the history of problems with releases of this tool?
    What is in the next release of the tool?
    What changes?
    What is involved in migrating from the current release to the next release?
    What is the risk that your data and formulas no longer work?
    etc, etc.

Was this an interview question?
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

thanks.

This is specific to the reports.
    The company uses test manual cases to test the report data quite extensively.
    I needed to know whether we needed to re-test all the reports formulas etc)everytime we get a new release because the database on which this was based is no longer available.

NB! The tool is just a viewer to crystal reports.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well, I think that testing the report data extensively is a good start. It should at least verify that some stuff is working. Do you know what the limitations of the software are, though? I think that knowing the limitations is probably key also. This might already be covered, I don't know.

Are you testing in a production environment? If you are then chances are you're not testing the limitations. You might be testing the inner bounds, but you're not actively trying to break it.

I remember I once tested a system that integrated Crystal Reports and ACCPAC for DOS. It was a freakin' nightmare! Now, the nice thing about reports is that they USUALLY don't update databases and stuff. So that's a good thing. However, to really break it you'll need to manipulate the data a bit to really get things to go screwy.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Yes, it should be tested every time. It doesn't necessarily mean that you need to test everything every time. It means that you should look into creating a subset of tests that MUST be run each release. You'll probably base your abbreviated test suite on risk factors and coverage. So you want to get the greatest amount of coverage while also covering the majority of high-risk areas. It's basically cutting the fluff. The keyword here, though, is still risk, meaning that someone in the organization is going to have to assume the risk associated with trimming the test suite. I, personally, wouldn't take responsibility myself, but I'll trim the test cases like it was my responsibility.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I agree with Joe. You should answer these questions to know thoroughly about next release such as via build document. Practically, people tend to do smoke testing and then run a set of defined test cases which are prioritized before first, avoiding slipping test time. Next, other test cases will be considered.
    Best Regards,
    Duc Chau
    http://sqac.wordpress.com/