Looking for templates or other suggestions to bring projects & resources under control.
Hi All,

I知 trying to create a spreadsheet to provide visibility into QA work and I知 stumbling through it. The templates on QAforums are nice yet they are meant for one project with several resources. I致e also looked at MSOffice Excel templates and pulled a few ideas from there.
I have a temporary PC until my laptop arrives with MS project plan and all other bells and whistles arrives in about 3-4 weeks.
Does anyone have a good excel template to handle this current situation, it is as follows:

The company has 40 projects with open tickets, major enhancements and features being developed at anytime.

4 QA People (resources) offshore for testing.

There is no visibility into upcoming project needs, the level of utilization, or historical data which to estimate QA work effort. The previous QA Manager was not a manager and just handled things as they came up (pulled resources from one project to another when testing was not complete and without notice, there is a backlog of issues like this) which was fine at that time.

I知 having a difficult time creating spreadsheet displaying resource utilization because 1 person may be working on 5 cosmetic enhancements for 5 different applications over 2 days. Another person may be on a project for 4 weeks, 2 of which they did nothing because of some delay.
I've even started to refer to some QA books which have been great references in the past.

My head starts to spin when I think about this too much [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Thank you all in advance for any advice or templates which you can direct me too.