Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Need Help! How to break into Software Testing?

I got 1.5 year experience in Telecom BSS testing in Siemens(Automation Testing)as a part time job and 2 Months manual Webtesting in Germany.
    Got ISEB foundation level 2 years ago. My development experience is poor, although I do understand the logic of OO and SQL Script.
    Since I came to UK, I found the most demanded testing role here is for financial industry or e-commerce. I am also very interested in this application, but find it very difficult to find a proper job. They all ask for relevant experience. I am considering to get certificates in MS SQL or Java or others. Could anybody give me some advices, which skills are more helpful for tester, development skill, or knowledge about the object industry, for example Finance or Accountancy. Which certificate is more valuable, SQL, Java or the industry related one like(FRM, CFA)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Need Help! How to break into Software Testing?

I worked as student in Germany,maybe the experience is not that valuable. The most demanded Certificate in ISEB, which I already got. So wondering for the next step.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

well... in 51 minutes what do you expect!

Be a self starter - try reading the forums.

There is a lot of good information here - including a few threads with similar questions and ideas regarding entry level jobs and certifications.
    Mary

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How do the Software Testing opportunities in the UK compare to Germany?

[ QUOTE ]
    ...but find it very difficult to find a proper job. They all ask for relevant experience.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't find it at all surprising that in a down economy potential employers seek candidates with relevant experience.

Did they indicate what kind of experience would be considered relevant?

If they are specifically asking for experience, getting even more certifications doesn't sound like a useful path.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes, they are all asking for experience in the specific industry,like Finance, CRM, Insurance, Mobil Application, which I can't get without a real job. A lot of senior expert here suggest that one should start a project himself on the PC.So could I really list it as an experience in CV, when I tested a Software in my laptop?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You can list whatever experience you like, as long as it is truthful. Tell it the way it happened.

But, if as you say, "they are ALL asking for experience" then you can only apply (honestly) and see how they respond.

As Joe pointed out, the economy means that there are experienced people out there looking for a job, and competing with you.

"Breaking into" software testing is like pretty mcuh any other profession. It involves some training and then taking an entry-level position (meaning one where experience is not required), perhaps including a period of apprenticeship or being mentored. That is true for pretty much everyone from street sweepers to brain sugeons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    So could I really list it as an experience in CV, when I tested a Software in my laptop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... did you really test it, or just play around with it?

[For example, my son has "tested" software (not to mention my patience) this way on his computers since he was a young child. I wouldn't suggest that he put it on his resume, though.]

You could decide to sign on as an unpaid tester for an Open Source project. Listing that on a resume may be of some use.

Whatever you decide to do, be prepared to explain (truthfully) what you actually did or didn't do, during an interview.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the help. I think testing for an open source might be better for me than pursuing more certificate. I could use Winrunner for automation testing an application.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    I could use Winrunner for automation testing an application.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you own a copy of WinRunner?
    (Pretty expensive...)
    Joe Strazzere

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Errrrr, I just used that for learning. I hope it is not illegal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast