Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Unable to find a job

Hi,
    I have currently completed the testing course (Manual, Automation -QTP, QC, Load runner, WInrunner, SIlk test, PERL-CGI, HTML, SQL).
    I also completed my QTP certification.
    I am currently applying for an entry level job , and i have not worked on any projects so far. Unforutnately I am not getting any interview calls.
    Im not sure where im going wrong.

I think my resume is fine with all the details of my testing skills.

Is there anything else i should be doing -like certification, diploma , or any additonal skills??

ANy suggesstions would be of great help as im frustrated.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Unable to find a job

Do not focus so much on the languages & tools. Are certifications important in your country? I am assuming that you are not looking for work in the US. Have you done any projects that show off skills like problem solving or how quickly you can learn something? Make sure these projects are highlighted on your resume and take the focus away from the tools.

I was reviewing resumes recently for both junior and senior positions. Both my boss and I both commented how many people presented how many tools they know and as skills rather than knowledge of the application and didn't show any knowledge of HOW TO APPLY THE TOOLS TO DOING A TESTING JOB. So the tool listing looked like just words that meant nothing and we passed over many where tool knowledge was the focus. Be VERY careful how your resume represents you - tool listing is just that a list of tools and says NOTHING about your skill level. It's important to include the tools but be sure that you do know those tools and not just list them because you think that will get you the interview/job. And if I saw tools listed first on a resume, I would expect immediate proof of knowledge of those tools and if not, I would dismiss the resume.

I would suggest that because you are looking for entry level, that you take on a personal project of testing something. This could be an application on your own computer, it could be an application on the internet, it could be a particular website perhaps a very popular one. Use one or more of the tools you list on your resume for the testing, include all the documentation you think is appropriate (you can ask here for assistance on particular instances) for your test strategy and results.

This kind of task will show the reviewer of the resume that you are self motivated, disciplined and are able to problem solve how to do something like this with little or no guidance. I am sure this would get you noticed out of the 100 plus resumes reviewers see a day much quicker than your list of tools.

Entry level positions should show off more about you and how you work, your knowledge of how to test, not how to use a tool. The more knowledge you can present on how to test, the quicker the interviews and eventually jobs will become apparent.

I hope this helps you. Best of luck! And remember to stay on track. Asking for assistance is a great way to start but remember to follow through with hard work.
    Going out of your comfort zone requires failure. True genius is measured by your recovery.

...Jean Ann
    www.perfectpitchmarketinginc.com
    http://on.fb.me/PPM100
    www.projectrealms.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thankyou Jean.
    I currently live in Canada. I took only QTP certification with the intention it adds value to my resume.

I have not done any projects so far. Kindly suggest me as to how can I proceed with this. I am eager to learn and I am ready to do whatever it takes.

I can say I am knowledgable with the tools. I have used them to test a few websites. I wasnt sure if it was ok to include them in my resume.

Kindly suggest regarding the the kind of documentation I need to provide for the applications I test.

Looking forward to your reply

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Most the freshers not getting any call from the company, even experiance persons also smae situation becuase of US economy things....

please share if any thoughs about US Economy & IT Jobs in current situation.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The following may not apply to the Canadian Market, but in my area we look for automation engineers who come with a background in either manual testing or development. Whether this is good or bad is not relevant to this conversation, since this is the local case 85% of the time.

If the same applies to your area, my suggestion would be to try to gain experience as a manual tester. For this you need to make sure your resume matches this job description and so the emphasis on Tools should be lowered to a second pane.

Again, this may not be the case, but take it into account.
    -joel
    9 times out 10, less is actually more

PractiTest - QA and Test Management Tool
    QABlog - QA Intelligence Blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Please let me know how is going Indian IT Markets espcially 5+Yrs Experiance persions in Automation & Manual Test Engineers.

Regards,
    Kishore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Joel.

I would like to start as a Manual Tester.
    Any suggesstions on how can I start my own project and the kind of documentation I need to include?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi sri4ever,

I would like to suggest to start to know about the SDLC process and to get an idea about the importance of testing phase in the SDLC.

-------
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

I would like to start as a Manual Tester.
    Any suggesstions ....

[/ QUOTE ]
    One suggesssstion would be to start using spell checking tool... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] did you demonstrate this tool using skill in your resume ?
    Another - if you don't want automation job it may be a good idea to exclude your test automation certificates from CV for now, but include something that shows your knowledge of manual testing: any testing books red so far?

To start something you could for example test open source software.
    ?:the art of a constructive conflict perceived as a destructive diagnose.
    Ainars

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ainars,
    Not everyone speaks fluent English so we all have to remember not to correct other's English on this forum. And I am not sure if your mistake was a typo or not, but since you offered a correction, I will do the same to you.
    [ QUOTE ]
    any testing books red so far?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't it be typed "any testing books read so far"?

Everyone makes mistakes.
    Going out of your comfort zone requires failure. True genius is measured by your recovery.

...Jean Ann
    www.perfectpitchmarketinginc.com
    http://on.fb.me/PPM100
    www.projectrealms.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast