Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Setting up testscripts related to XML testing

I am currently working at a customer for a project where we will heavily rely on XML usage. I am currently creating XML files for testing purposes based on a complex data model. As I was creating a few I noticed that maintaining these files will be very difficult. There may be other ways. For example using excel sheets to generate XML files or using some XML features to decrease maintenance or other smart ways. What kind of approach did you take when testing with XML files?

Thanks
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Setting up testscripts related to XML testing

I often create a test script which can output the XML files I need.

For example, in one case I needed a bunch of XML file containing "sample" data. I used a script to write hundreds of XML files - each containing pseudo-random data.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Joe for telling me your experience.

When writing this script could you tell me what language you use for those hundreds of XML files and what data source files did you use?

Thanks
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

While you could use any scripting tool that was handy, I happened to use WinTask.

And the data used by the scripts came from many sources.
    - some came from a few database tables
    - some came from an Excel spreadsheet
    - some was date/time data
    - some was pseudo-random data (I have tables of names, cities, etc that I use for such purposes)
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!