Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Regression Testing and Re testing

Hi Everyone,

Can anybody tell me that what is the exact difinition of Regression Testing and Re testing which one is perform First.what is the major different.

Thanks,
    Abrar khan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Regression Testing and Re testing

Re Testing ????..Sorry, I have heard this term first time.

There is no such Testing technique/method available in the industry as per QAI, US.

Regression Testing - To ensure that the functionality that was working before the Fixes applied to the Application are still working as intended.

I think, as per the regression testing definition, you could make-out that ReTesting and Regression are same.

However, I advise to use the term "Regression Testing" instead of "ReTesting".
    Regards,
    ~Santosh

Lets Make The Test World - Smart

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Abrar,

I disagree with Santosh on this occasion, the terms retesting and regression testing are not the same thing.

Regression Testing - Testing of a previously tested program following modification to ensure that defects have not been introduced or uncovered in unchanged areas of the software as a result of the changed made. It is preformaed when the software or its environment is changed.

Retesting - Testing of a specific area of functionality after a fix/modification to ensure tha the change has been successfull.

In otherwords retesting is testing the specific fix and regression is checking that the rest of the app has not changed.

The Regression Testing definition is from a Glossary of Testing Terms Version 1.0 (8th Dec 2004) Produced by the 'Glossary Working Party' International Software Testing Qualification Board.

The Retesting definition is my own.
    Richard Hunter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Santosh

It might not be Re Testing but there is a term Retesting in the Testing industry which I had heard many times. Actually we do Retesting in our Company also. You might not heard about Retesting but it was followed at many places here.

Retesting is testing the application(may contain any fixes or many not)again for confirmation that all functionalities are working properly.
    Regression testing is testing the application after any fixes to confirm that all functionalities are working properly and those fixes have not corrupted any existing functionality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

:-)

I was hungry, I ate the words inbetween, I wanted to mention as below

"I think, as per the regression testing definition, if you wish, you could make-out that ReTesting and Regression are same."

Well, if any fix / modification is applied to the system, then its impact also needs to be identified and ensure that the fix / modification has not created any other defects in the system.

As far as your definition of Retesting goes I agree with that definition, but you also must be knowing that such method is not available as per the industry standards.

To decide Retesting or Regression Testing entirely depends upon the fix / modification. If the change is big, some people normally conducts the entire test cycle to ensure that it hasn't originated any other issues.

Well, here I do agree that Retesting and Regression are not the same but it sounds like, Retesting is a subset of Regression or vice-versa.

What do you say ?
    Regards,
    ~Santosh

Lets Make The Test World - Smart

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I do consider regression and retesting to be different things and both an industry standard, the Version 1.2 of the Standard glossary of terms used in Software Testing ..etc.. has re-testing as follows:

- Testing that runs test cases that failed the last time they were run, in order to verify the success of corrective actions.

So the way I run it would be as follows:
    - Run all/as many test cases as possible in the first run
    - Retest the ones that failed/blocked after a fix release
    - Repeat until all have passed at least once
    - Run regression to check that the ones passed originally have passed.

In one sense retesting is a subset of regression testing, however if you have done retesting you would not run the same tests again in regression testing as regression testing is checking everything else, not the fix.

Not sure if I have made my thoughts any clearer
    Richard Hunter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

santhosh ,
    you are pretty much confusing the guy who asked a simple question.
    [ QUOTE ]
    :-)
    "I think, as per the regression testing definition, if you wish, you could make-out that ReTesting and Regression are same."

[/ QUOTE ]
    I really dont think so....
    [ QUOTE ]

As far as your definition of Retesting goes I agree with that definition, but you also must be knowing that such method is not available as per the industry standards.

[/ QUOTE ]
    industry standards are specific for industries,they change from one to another. but i think retesting is a pretty famous and commonly used term .I wonder how you havent heard.
    [ QUOTE ]

Well, here I do agree that Retesting and Regression are not the same but it sounds like, Retesting is a subset of Regression or vice-versa.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Retesting is a subset of Regression, but it cannot be the reverse way around.
    Regards
    Saju Thomas

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi Everyone,

Can anybody tell me that what is the exact difinition of Regression Testing and Re testing which one is perform First.what is the major different.

Thanks,
    Abrar khan

[/ QUOTE ]

Saju is quite correct. To answer the simple question the definitions from the 'Standard glossary of terms used in Softwaree Testing" version 1.2 are as follows:

Regression Testing - Testing of a previously tested program following modification to ensure that defects have not been introduced or uncovered in unchanged areas of the software as a result of the changed made. It is preformaed when the software or its environment is changed.

Re-Testing - Testing that runs test cases that failed the last time they were run, in order to verify the success of corrective actions.

Document can be found on this website under the downloads section. www.istqb.org
    Richard Hunter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There are many more discussions about this very topic easily found by searching. Abrar please do become acquainted with the two search engines to your upper right. Thank you.

Here are a few regression/retest discussions:

http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...t=all&vc=1

http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...age=0&vc=1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have stopped using either term. I now use tree-gression testing exclusively. It is described in a thread where we discussed the difference between retesting a regression testing. I suspect it is one of those that Jake kindly provided.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast