Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Is my understanding of latent bug is correct?

HI,

Recently i came across this word "latent bug" and did google to find out various definitions of latent bug. I have listed these below. Not sure which of these is appropriate.

1) A bug which is prevalent in the application, but gone undetected in the initial releases and found out in later.

2) A potential issue which can turn up as a serious bug in the forthcoming releases

3) A bug which can't be detected through UI, needs to be detected through back end alone (Though not convinced with this).

would be great if someone can share a link on latent bug as my effort turned out futile.. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Is my understanding of latent bug is correct?

Hi Turi,

According to me Latent bug can be defined as
    "A bug that has been dormant (unobserved) in two or more releases"

Lets see what the others have to say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It is another one of those terms that are defined by the organization that you are working for.

Let me ask this. Why is it important to decide if a bug is a "latent bug"? If it is a bug, and the intent is to fix the thing, why is it important what you call it?

Going back to the Oxford English dictionary, latent is defined as "present but not visible" or "existing as potential" or "dormant". If we use that definition, then a latent bug would be "a defect in the code that is present but not visible", or "a potential defect in code". We then have to define "bug", but that is another topic.

All the definitions that were offered in the previous two posts assume that the bug is detected. If it is detected, it would seem to be, by definition, no longer latent, but would be a visible or actual bug at that point. It would no longer be dormant.

In my experience, latent bugs are usually found during code reviews, not during actual exercise of the application.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Another possible interpretation would be:

-If a "bug" means that a requirement has not been satisfied

and

-If a "latent requirement" is a feature that a customer would want but has not asked for

...then a "latent bug" would be missing or broken functionality that a customer has not asked for.

For example, maybe a developer put in hotkeys to drive an application, although they were not in the specification, and one of the hotkeys doesn't work. That could be interpreted as a latent bug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I've heard a few explanations of this:

1) As mentioned above, a bug which has not been rediscovered in 2 or more builds (ie may have been fixed by another bug fix)

2) A bug which is acknowledged as being there but is not causing issues which are apparent to the client at this time (not symptomatic).

3) A bug which has existed in previous builds but was not uncovered.

I have heard all of these to describe a latent bug, so I guess it really boils down to how the term is intended to be used at your company.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am in full agreement with DSquared
    Regards,
    ~Santosh

Lets Make The Test World - Smart

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thinking it in a different fashion.

As DSquared mentioned Latent means "which is not discovered yet" or "present but not visible". That is perfect but until and unless you dont discover the bug how can you use the term Latent bug? You can mention the approximate value by using the statistics for the present application you are testing.

Justifying my definition that the bugs which were not discovered in the previous releases are latent bugs. You have not discovered the bugs during testing of those releases and now as you have found them they are latent for that earlier releases.

Just thinking differently. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]