Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Test Cases for Database Upgrade

Hi all, Our org is going to upgrade database from Oracle 9i to 10g in upcoming months. Due to limited amount of timeline, QA is just going to cover all the "high impact" applications. Anyways, here is my main question.

I believe that test cases for database upgrade shouldn't be same as System testing test cases, right? My main goal is to test data integrity and validation both via GUI and backend database. Having said that, we are going to perform majority of the crud testing (add, delete, upgrade etc). Also, we are going to do somewhat performance testing (measure timeframe of application response in 9i and use that measurement as benchmark for 10g). Hence, system test cases won't be useful. We are planning on creating new type of test cases which will cover crud and performance testing.

My question.....Am I going in the right direction? Do I need to include anything else in our testing?

Note: Load/Automation testing is out of scope simply because we don't have tools in place.
    Lean and Mean machine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Test Cases for Database Upgrade

I would say you seem to be going in the right direction. I would also say that your company is going in the wrong direction.
    [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So this is a slow process then - correct?

Document the risks and get risk-acceptance signoff.

You can do some performance testing. Put timing wrappers around some queries and/or batch procs that vary the data. Launch them with a batch file using DOS "start".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Are you going to do any testing when records get locked? You may want to find situations where the database could have a record lock or even a process being too slow that could cause blocks. What happens when those blocks get released by various methods, i.e. manually or through software catches.

When I did an application upgrade a few years ago, I not only did the general regression testing but threw in what ifs at various points of a process. I found that sometimes the sequence of doing something seemed to cause problems.
    Going out of your comfort zone requires failure. True genius is measured by your recovery.

...Jean Ann
    www.perfectpitchmarketinginc.com
    http://on.fb.me/PPM100
    www.projectrealms.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

So this is a slow process then - correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

You can do some performance testing. Put timing wrappers around some queries and/or batch procs that vary the data. Launch them with a batch file using DOS "start".

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool Stuff, I never done it before. Would you please give me more details on it please? (Test Case type of details) Thanks!
    Lean and Mean machine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Are you going to do any testing when records get locked? You may want to find situations where the database could have a record lock or even a process being too slow that could cause blocks. What happens when those blocks get released by various methods, i.e. manually or through software catches.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great point, I never thought about it! I will certainly ask my DBA about this scenario and test it in both 9i and 10g.
    Lean and Mean machine