Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Appropriate Non-Functional Tests

Guys,

I'm currently working on test strategies as part of the testing plan. Included in the testing strategy are the types of testing to be implemented for the project.

The project that we're working on consists of client/server applications (SQL dbase). One application handles numerous data entry forms and data retrievals (through data sheets & some used for charting). And the other application works on data extraction (sort of automatic data entry) from files different sites (within local area network).

For these applications, data integrity is of prime importance, data retrieved must be almost real-time (as per second application). And as for the actual deployment environment, maximum concurrent users is 10 for data entries, about 10 different extraction sites, and 50-100
    for data retrievals and numbers could go higher depending on our client.

My experience is more on functional testing and not much on non-functional tests and there loads of types of these. We've done "mock" performance tests but i don't think its really enough and effective. So, i need some professional advise on the best and appropriate non-functional testing type to be implemented for our application (based on the info above).

Thanks in advance,

-M.T.T

(Note to Moderators: I don't really know where to categorize this post, hope it'll be just fine here.)
    "Do NoT DweLL On DrEaMs & FoRgEt tO LiVe... " - AD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Appropriate Non-Functional Tests

You might want to do some amount of load/stress/usability/security as well if they are relevant. Not sure if it will help, but you can get overview for some of them at http://testinggeek.com/silktest.asp hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Check in with your DBA if he has tools he can recommend on the SQL profiling, you will probably want something running when you do Database tests (maybe Load included). When doing Load Testing with databases you should also make sure that the results coming up are what you expect, if you have a scripting tool like QuickTestPro or similar that does validation that will be a help.

Things I have seen when doing this type of testing:
    - Database locks that will not go away
    - Transactions not completing
    - Data loss from one of the above
    - Too many database connections
    - Large amounts of data that did not come across properly for display in the UI
    - Wrong data
    - Database Jobs (this was MSSQL) that interfered with normal operations or operations under load - or check operations while backups or archiving are going on

Definitely use your DBA though, they are your best resource in cases like this and they can help you determine what may or may not be a DB issue, and can give you tools to debug them if they are so inclined.

- M
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Geek,

I've viewed the site and yes, it helped me lighten things up. I'll be reviewing some of the testing tools and maybe find one that will be approriate for our current application.

M,

I've also had a talk with our DBA and there are settings that we can use for test performance particularly on thenumber of user simulation and tracing of transactions. But further discussions still needs to be done.

Thanks, guys.
    "Do NoT DweLL On DrEaMs & FoRgEt tO LiVe... " - AD