| || |
Data Migration / Data Testing
I am a beginning Business Analyst after having come from the technical side, and just started with a bank 2 weeks ago. They have their BAs do test plans and test cases. The test plan is for a database migration, where legacy data is mapped to a new vendor database.
- The vendor has provided most of the mapping.
- Legacy and transformed data will be output in CSV format.
- The only tools I have available at this point are Excel and Access.
- The test plan is largely constructed; we plan to split testing first on the data only, and then 'integration' when combined with the front-end application. Translation: the initial part of testing has no GUI.
- I have no idea what tools the testing department may have at their disposal (automated or otherwise)
1. What sort of testing does the database testing fall under? What is it called? Is there an industry term for testing specific to pure data testing?
2. What sort of test concepts and terminology should I research further for data testing?
3. What sort of products are available for database testing, especially open source?
4. How do such test cases differ from a typical GUI-based test case where there are no 'user actions' to perform?
Thanks for any help,
Re: Data Migration / Data Testing
While this link and embedded links do not answer all of your questions, the information will give you some ideas and expose you to some of the terminology.
I wish you luck in your new role.