Thread: Add Hoc Testing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Add Hoc Testing

I'm researching "Add Hoc Testing" but i don't have any documents about that. If anybody have document or understand about that, Please share experience. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Add Hoc Testing

The name is "Ad Hoc" with a single d and if you do a search on "Ad Hoc Testing" in e.g. google you will find plenty of document. You will need to do quite a research as there are no agreement on this term.
    If your research is somehow academic you should refer to www.swebok.org that says “Perhaps the most widely practiced technique remains ad hoc testing”. However it only have 2 sentences out of 10 pages long chapter dedicated to software testing. More over it limits the term to testing technique, while I’ve seen this term to include everything: methodology, strategy, goals, approach...
    ?:the art of a constructive conflict perceived as a destructive diagnose.
    Ainars

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ad hoc is a Latin phrase which means "for this [purpose]." It generally signifies a solution that has been tailored to a specific purpose, such as a tailor-made suit, a handcrafted network protocol or a specific-purpose equation. It can also refer to an improvised and often impromptu event or solution "on an ad-hoc basis".
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hoc

My objection to Ad Hoc testing is that people go for the second definition rather than the 1st.

Testing that is tailored to a specific purpose can be effective.

Testing that is impromptu is frequently not well thought out and that lack of focus and purpose can make it much less effective.

tester

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

AD-HOC, even when applied as "for this [purpose]" has a McGuyver-lik sense of "quick and dirty" about it. Thus, not only is the test applied to a specific purpose, but it tends to be useless for any other purpose, or in the case of SQA, any other type of problem or 'bug' in the same general code area.
    I try to avoid ad-hoc testing unless an employer absolutely insists on it. Rather, I'll save the ad-hoc for testing certain nasty, buried bugs. For example, I once found a rounding problem in an embedded math package. I developed an ad-hoc ("to a purpose") test that found that if the results were "x.1893" (for example) the result was rounded to "x.17".
    I don't mean to mply that an ad-hoc test doesn't eventually make an important addition to a suite of tests, but only if there is a real, known problem that must be proven to have been fixed. [The math problem, above, was never fixed.]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hai gdb, can you expand a bit on that? For many people, ad-hoc mean exactly opposite of what you have explained. If ad-hoc also have some specific purpose, then what is the difference between exploratory and ad-hoc?
    I agree with you that, testing with a specific purpose is more effective. But I usually give it a name of exploratory rather than ad-hoc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This thread may help.

Ad Hoc and Exploratory Testing
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Rather, I'll save the ad-hoc for testing certain nasty, buried bugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

what does it mean to test a defect?

testing is a creative process and one should be encouraging their staff to remove rigidity and formality and simply test based on intuition, state of software, etc. Sure, there is a time and a place for solely testing based on documented test cases...very valuable don't get me wrong. However, also remember that when one is executing a formal test case and notices something funny going on and starts investigating, searching, testing based on intuition by default they have now ventured into ad-hoc testing.
    Reserve a few months every so often and preview retirement throughout your career. You won't regret that a 35 year career was reduced to 34 years to take vacations measured in months in order to remember what a stress and care-free life is all about.

Books and hard work will get you anywhere you want to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    when one is executing a formal test case and notices something funny going on and starts investigating, searching, testing based on intuition by default they have now ventured into ad-hoc testing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd call this exploratory, but to each their own.
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout