Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Google BASE testing

Has anyone experienced testing Google Base data? I'm currently tasked with validating database information that has been entered in to Google Base. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
    The important thing is not to stop questioning.
    -Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Google BASE testing

I've done some. My company sends all our client's real estate listings to Google Base and I often am left to search for particular listings sent by us. What exactly are you wanting to know? Does it have to do with searching through Google Base?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well, my company is going to insert 30,000 listings for autos in to Google Base and I have to validate that it is showing the fields that we've entered. I'm wondering if there are any bugs that you've encountered, i.e., year, money symbols etc. And if fields are left blank, etc.
    -Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

On GoogleBase (at least for real estate listings from my company) there's not a whole lot of information. Just a couple of fields from the listings are displayed and a link to the listing itself on our main portal site. All the information is usually correct but it's actually finding the listing that's the problem. We get a lot of FTP failures with our bulk upload, but then we are sending probably more than 100,000 listings and Google Base is still in Beta and free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I know you have to name the file and have to specify what kind of file it is.
    -Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Kyothecat, what sort of problems are you having with the FTP uploads? is it your xml? that is the problem we are having. We get notified that it's the xml but not specific. We do xml validation and it's correct. Also, the turn around times are really long to hear back from their Help desk -2 to 3 days as well.
    -Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We don't send xml but txt files for our uploads and get a lot of cannot connect errors, nothing specific and it doesn't seem like they don't like txt files since it will upload on some days. We send 2 different files, sometimes they both make, sometimes only 1. I'm not the one in contact with Google but I know they do take a while to respond. We do automated uploads early in the morning, when we've noticed they failed we try to FTP again later in the day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Just to update - We've now been denied postings because they realized that our prices are in Canadian Dollars. It seems this is only open to participants from the US, or change to US dollars. So the latest solution was to push the info, remove the CAD symbol and assume that if a person is searcing for vehicles in Canada, they will know it's CAD.
    -Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

That's good to know. We have a small client base in Canada and it's growing. I can see our company eventually catering to the need of converting Canadian dollars to US and vise versa for the real estate listings. And Google too will probably accept the Canadian dollar symbol in the future as Google Base gains in popularity.