Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Test Cases

Hi

Its a simple question regarding the testcase
    What should be the strategy followed for writing the testcases??
    a.Writing all the functionalities...possibilities..scenarios we can think of...all cosmetic things(labels,taborder,,,)making the coverage 100%??

or

b.Following a general pattern which just covers the major functionality and then go about writing the testcases when we find bugs during bughunting

I wont ur opinion...On which is a better strategy??
    on things like
    1.which one saves time
    2.Which one is fruitful??

Thanks in advance <font color="purple"> </font>

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Test Cases

First one will be better. Since we will cover all the functionality and also we can add during bug finding
    Correct me if i am wrong..
    keshav
    Regards,
    Keshava

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Separate your cases between GUI and business.

For GUI go for option a. because GUI validation is pedantic and requires explicit annotation of each and every item to eb verified.

For business go for b. as you are more interested in focusing on the processes that need to be followed rather than every action that needs to occur.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Rozz,

Naturally the first one is the better (and ofcourse best) option.

Why did you get that doubt and can you please tell, what made you think that second option is fuitful?

Regards,
    Pragathi G
    SAAU Tech.
    India

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Pragati...thanks for that question...

Iam following the first approach now.But Iam getting a little confused after reading about
    context driven testing methodologies and terms like blink testing

Hence I started thinking why should I waste my energy in
    Creating,Reading ,Updating and Deleting(CRUD)my GUI testcases ...And at the end of the day Iam getting some
    Cosmetic Issues...(though iam marching to perfection!!)

But before making a decision I want opinion from my fellow testers...Thats y Iam here

Thanks...krytae
    Ur answer sounds realistic to me...Lemme work on it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Context-driven testing does not necessarily result in less than 100% coverage.

The more you can analyze and document in advance, the less guesswork is involved during the actual test period, which is often rushed and hectic - not really a good time for in-depth analysis. There are times, however, that there is insufficient time or information available in advance to get the prep work done on time.

My "practical" answer is to do as much as you can prior to the test period and to add the rest during the test period.

My experience has been that structured testing (striving for full coverage) is more time-consuming and drives out the most error. It also makes downstream activity and future regression/automation tasks easier. Context-driven testing can be effective for the immediate testing effort, particularly if done by testing experts, but results in more work done after the testing period. This is assuming you will need to rerun those tests for future iterations and perhaps have SOX compliancy, automation tasks, or other constraints on the testing effort.

- Linda

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi all,

My opinion:we should made an biggest effort to go for option a,which is our primary mission.

HOHO,have a nice day ,guys.
    Life is full of possibility,let inspiration lead the way!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Guys,

As up to my knowledge, Test case is to show what we have done and what has happend, so let's cover all things but still avoid writing paragraphs as description. I saw few of my Colleagues are writting as essays.

If there is anything wrong kindly correct me to follow the better one.

Best Regards,
    Arunkumar J

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

For the initial stage of any tester, the option "a" is best because he dont know any strategical approach. once the tester got comfortable in business scenarios it will be better use the option "b".

Please give your points on my reply.
    thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

first of all, the major functionalities and the most critical scenarios, then whatever you can afford (in terms of time available, resources etc). Test documents should necessarily contain the testcases for major things (priority 1 and priority 2) so that at any point of time in the test cycle, test execution reports can 'confirm' the intactness/correctness of the major functionalities.

If time and resources allows , you can make efforts for 100% ... (but i always doubt if there is really somethin like 100% test coverage only with scripted testing and if we can replace/substitute the bughunting/exploratory/ad-hoc testing)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast