Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Writing Test Case with DOcs and ScreensShots Only

Okay

Let me tell you one situation..

If I have to write test case (which include Functional test case mostly), so can anyone or is it possible to write test case without the application.

You have snap shots of the application....along with other required documents (i.e. SRS,HLD,....etc).

So is it suggested to write test cases like that..which should cover Basic testing ( Basic Test Cases Rather).

If yes then please comment on this...then i will go for that,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Writing Test Case with DOcs and ScreensShots Only

Yes, it is possible. So far we've done that on one project, and 25% of the testcases failed when doing the first test. The application was not that buggy, but all different perceptions and interpretations of unclear requirements lead to differences between the testcase specification and the behaviour of the application.

Our/My lessons learnt (saying this before our project review will start in 30 minutes [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ):
    Carry unclear requirements to the requirements engineer (project leader?), let him decide how the application shall behave.
    Let the requirements engineer review the testcase specification when you're finished.
    Don't go to much in detail (GUI behaviour), focus on the functionality of the application.
    Be prepared that you'll have to change several testcases after the application is there. If it's working, usually it's cheaper to change the test specification than the application. And so the project leader most likely will decide...

Regards,
    Juergen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Writing Test Case with DOcs and ScreensShots Only

Yes that a part of STLC to write test cases from the specs or SRS/FRS. Then a last minute update is required when the FRS is frozen then the test cases have to be edited and finalised. The same test cases are used for testing.
    Thanks
    Sumit Jaitly
    QA Manager

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Writing Test Case with DOcs and ScreensShots O

So I can Write mostly..Functionality Based Test Cases.

Which will cover not complete test cases but yes more than minimum...as we have to write only basic level test cases and basic level testing.

Rest Client have his own testing team so he will work out with them, but my concern is that i will write the minimum ( no. wise) test cases.. Say i have 8 master screens i will write 30 on an average test cases per master.

But i am bit worried that client should not get the chance to say that you have not given us basic level test cases and testing is not done properly, that is it. So i have to make sure that it should be precise (as my employer want) and effective (as client want).

So then as per your comments...i can write test cases...let me give this a shot and will let you know here whatever will be the result.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Of course, if we write test cases based on the SRS/FRS will help us to update during freezing the Requirement.

Using the updated Reqs, we can update our test cases.
    thats the easy way for writing the test case from the scratch.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Okay i tried to do so and wrote total of 80 test cases for ^ Screens.

But i found that was more time consuming and most of them are not efficient test cases...Some of them are i can say good as i wrote them as per my experience (Like for B'date and Email fields [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ).

But i would prefer to sit near to or adjascent to the developer and write test cases and keep on bugging him.

Coz sometimes you miight not know or take time to know by yourself some features and functionalities which we may write as bug if not knowing.

But if QA team will be included from the beginning then we can get clear picture and write on basis of that.

But at last and as my recent experience...i would prefer the later choice.

~~~~~ Any Comments Please ~~~~~

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

My team is trained to start writing test cases as soon as possible, whether there are specs or not, and whether the system is available or not. It's a time-consuming job, and if it isn't started early, it doesn't get done.

If detail is not available yet, we leave it out and "stub" the test case. At least we know what functionality we want to cover, even if we don't have the detail available to specify "how" on a step-by-step basis. We add details as those details become known.

- Linda

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

For that you need Linda

I mean one expert person who can guide you thriugh the process. As i said you can write test cases with your experience...but then each system has diffrent requirements and all..

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Do you have a basic understanding of what the application and its functionality (the screen shots et al.) is supposed to do? From this you can distill out different types of tests (Field functionality (positive & negative), Navigation, business usage scenario's, Error handling (forced error conditions and see how the application/screen handles it), and if the screens are linked you can do some integration testing for data and business flow.

What you need to do first on all this is map out what it is you're trying to accomplish. Build an outline of the functionality and the tests you think you need to run. This is what is sometimes called a Test Suite Outline. I use them all the time when I do projects. I will even model a similar application if possible. It gives you a guide, and also some basic traceability if you put it in a matrix later on. This way you can see overlap and remove redundent test cases, what is called 'Set Reduction' in Binary/digital logic math classes.

From this you can start to estimate the effort to build the test cases. Now you are starting to do some pre-planning. And this can be shown to other involved groups to make sure you are on the right track. You start to get buy-in on what it is you're trying to do. A Walkthrough/Review at Milestone points can help facilitate the communication of your work and keep you on track.

I can continue to write a tome on this, but then I would be regurgitating about 3 different books on testing. I wouldn't freak out on this, it is part of what we do. You will never have all the pieces to start with. But if you sit back for a moment and look at what you have you can formulate a plan of attack. That is what you get paid for.
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you Jim

I did that and i am trying to work out on those areas too, this i think we called as Experience.

As in my case i was given three days..so at the starting i told them it is not gonna work, then also i have to do but i informed them about the results.

So now they know that it is not so good to force deadline so close. I have created some reports also after testing..
    http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...e=0#Post341832
    like i have mentioned.

I created on <u>"Test Summary Report"</u> too, but i don't know how it is...i will do one thing i will change the names in the report and upload here so i can get comments

How Bad i am or How fair i am and how much efforts i have to put to improve this.

So have trust on you guys...Thank you all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast