Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Regression Testing

Hi,

How do you decide what to regression test on subsequent releases of software?

Thanks

GMT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Regression Testing

How did you decide what to regression test to begin with ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

GMT, such a general question can only be answered in a book. It's way too big a topic to answer quickly here. It depends entirely upon the software and the circumstances surrounding it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

After few releases plan for REGRESSION cycle and re execute all the bugs which are found and closed in all the builds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Adapa, that is ONE approach (and not the one we use, by the way). Rather than dogmatic statements, please make clear that your suggestion is just that - a suggestion and nothing more.

In our organization, areas included in regression testing are a combination of high-visibility functionality, known trouble spots and pure gut feel. The scope of a full regression increases alarmingly both upon and between each release.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

That's right, in my company we have Regression with EVERY release, and it expands with every release depending on number of bugs and severity of some of them. Plus that good old gut feel. Every company is different, and results may vary.

Also, I am beginning to like - Bugs are larger than they appear.

- M
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,
    About regression test, I think should includ most bugs and the master function of the project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

"most bugs?"

Not sure I understand your response, ryuuyuu. Regression (generally) isn't about validating fixed bugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    "most bugs?"

Not sure I understand your response, ryuuyuu. Regression (generally) isn't about validating fixed bugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

except validating fixed bugs, it is also looking for potential bugs surrounding those fixed bugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Regression testing (as it was taught to me in a QA class/course I took a couple of years ago) is testing prior releases against the new release once all the current bugs have been found and fixed according to the test scripts written and any ad hoc tests.

As with many projects, full regression testing is not possible or feasable because full regression means executing every test script from all prior releases. Normally there is not adequate infrastructure or time for that level of testing.

My personal preference is like MichaelJF's, but I would add to that developer input since the developer would know what code was touched with the new functionality.

So for me, regression testing is a "smattering" if you will, of executing past release test scripts, plus testing the "gut" feelings, and the areas the developer code has touched and any critical areas the developer thinks should be tested.

Good luck!
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity ~ anonymous

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast