Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How to test a new Search/Find feature in a new app

How to test a new Search/Find feature in a new application?

Anyone has ideas for test cases and/or performance tests?

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How to test a new Search/Find feature in a new app

Testing by searching for known items would seem logical. Measuring the time it takes for a specific set of items and then base lining those measurements for the next iteration of the application to monitor changes. There should be some specs for seek times etc. Please post some of your ideas for test cases and let us evaluate them. This method seems the most productive.
    I'd sooner kiss a Wookie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

A search or find can be based on virtually any criteria, RonenQA; your question is too vague to answer.

What you might get here are answers from people as new as yourself telling you what they did in their particular situation, but it won't really answer your question. It is difficult to teach someone analysis in a forum such as this.

My suggestion for you is to read some standard books on testing; Software Testing in the Real World by Edward Kit might help; or the "grandaddy" of Software Testing books, "The Art of Software Testing" by Glenford Myers.

- Linda

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks to all of you for your answers.

To be more specific, the search is based on both a ToolBar and Menu options for an Email Client.

The search is of course should be performed on messages and their content.

Can anyone tell me how can I get an STD for this kind of feature/component so I could learn from it?

Again, thank you all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Can anyone tell me how can I get an STD for this kind of feature/component so I could learn from it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I ask you what you mean by STD?

I am sure that you are familiar with existing search tools, in existing email products such as Lotus Notes or Microsoft Outlook.

So, instead of focussing on the fact that it is a search, look at it as a query on a database. Then, your test cases will follow the format you have used on any web page query result.

Finally, I would reccommend that you consider the earlier advice to look into some of the standard books in the field. They will help point you in the right direction, not only for resources, but also for being able to create your own templates to meet your company's standards and needs.
    Aaron Fager
    Software Test Engineer

If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Check the google search online help and get ideas from there

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Ronen!

1. When you click on New Search then search window should be opened with blank field.
    2. When you enter a search criteria in the search field then it should search one by one or all the result on a page or show result in paging, depends on the requirement.
    3. You enter a key work that is used many times, lets say 10,00,00,000.. then click on search, how much time it will take to search results? whether it searches all the results? whether shows proper links? etc...
    4. Search a keyword that is not used any where, then what is the out put?
    5. Search many words in a search, like, "VB, JAVA, Oracle, India, UK" etc... how it shows its result? If there is requirement that result should be shown on the basis of Category then how it is showing?
    etc.... there are mant ways to create Scenarios then u can write test cases for this. First refer requirement and prepare Use case & write down test cases.
    Ajit Singhal
    +91-11-99112 44009

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I would look at Microsoft's Outlook and outlook express to see what they do and use the feature in those products as my standard.
    Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ajit,

I would appreciate if you can provide me the some sample testcases.

Thanks in advance
    boss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast