Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Too many test cases

Hello,

I am here about to test a search window including 6 criteria. Those criteria are not exclusive and I am able to combine them freely.

This means that I end up with factorial(6) or 720 test cases for a minimum.

As you know time is a constraint, I won't be able to run them all.

What should be my approach in this context ?
    1) Should I think as an end-user and only test the more meaningful ones from a business point of view?
    2) Should I be more nasty and try to identify the test cases where I would get more errors than in approach 1) ?
    3) Is there another more logic or arithmetic way to identify the "sufficient" test cases ?

Thanks for help.

Fabiano Gaiga
    Test Leader at European Parliament

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Too many test cases

Hi Fabiano,

I have not done this with search windows, but had a similar type of problem regarding large numbers of broadly similar test cases.

The approach that I took was to use an automation tool to develop a script that created and ran all the test cases that i was after. Basically, the problem i had was to test a function that took a number a parameters of different types. The solution that i selected was to iterate through a nested loop that covered a list a possible values for each parameter.

A similar approach may work on your search window. That is generate an algorithm that creates a list of all the possible criteria combinations you wish to check, and iterate through that list, checking the results against the search string.

I'm still a novice at this type of testing, so perhaps one of the guys with more experience in data driven test design can explain this better.

Best regards,

Shane

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Orthogonal arrays and paired testing. I hope someone here has the links; there are several shareware tools that will do this for you. What you do is input the field name and the list of values for that field; you'll do it six times and have six arrays. The tool will then crunch the numbers for you and ensure each unique pair is tested at least once. I'd ensure my most common scenarios were covered, and my most likely error conditions, but orthogonal arrays/paired testing is a very intelligent way to sample. It will cut down your # of test cases considerably.

If someone doesn't provide you with some links, I'll go dig through my stuff and get them for you....

We're just getting our test base together right right now, so I haven't had a need for it. It's in my group's future, however....

- Linda

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Look on James Bach's site - satisfice.com. He has an allpairs utility that does what Linda talks about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Here's a downloadable PDF file on Orthogonal arrays. Though I still wonder at their thoroughness.

Don't forget the non alpha-numerics like Quotes to indicate a phrase and commas to indicate multiple word searches, if your engine has them.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

By the way Fabiano, I'd like to comment on your questioning style. You did an excellent job of describing your issue and giving your options and opinions. For a first time poster it is excellent.

Welcome aboard!
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Rich, thanks a lot for your kind word.

I want to say also that I am really amazed by the high level answers I got ans more than that, so quickly !!

From all the answers, I will explore the orthogonal arrays and paired testing approach.

Cheers.
    Fab.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,

I am coming back because I am trying the paired testing approach but I want also to "test" the Orthogonal arrays approach.

I found on the net that there is a ReduceArray spreadsheet but I am not able to download it.

Does anybody have a copy of this file ?

Just to give some comment on my work, I want to say that you must be very carefull in selecting the possible values of each criteria. The difficult part of the work is the preparation (as always !!) and not the execution of a tool.

Fab.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Fab,
    Try this site. It has several versions of the arrary speadsheet as well as the user's guide.

http://www.stsc.hill.af.mil/consulti...ement/cst.html
    Personal Comment

~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Rich; I got it.