Re: Techniques/scenarios for testing email certification application
I once tested an application which processed email for a customer support department. It would pull emails off one or more POP servers, and process them according to user defined rules (eg if the email contains the word "job" route to the human resources que, and send a canned response "Thank you for your interest in careers at widgets, inc."). My strategy was as follows:
1) Starting with an empty database, install the new build, setup ques, agents, rules, ect.
2) Send emails which tested the various rules to the AUT via a DOS command line utility.
3) Verify the emails were processed / routed correctly by the application.
3) Pull return emails from a POP server installed on my desktop with a java program which wrote the contents to text files.
4) Diffed the return email files with baseline expected results files.