Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Operating System Upgrade - Retest?

We are considering upgrading our system from Redhat Linux version 2.4.21- 27 .ELsmp to 2.4.21- 37 .ELsmp

This is basically to bring the OS up to date with security fixes. We are in the middle of functional testing. Should QA demand a complete regression test of the system for an upgrade like this?

We are running BEA Weblogic with a JRockit JVM if that helps.

Thanks for any input!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Operating System Upgrade - Retest?

If you were migrating from Windows 2000 to XP, would you regression test?

Yes, you should perform a full regression.
    1. 9.5
    2. Web/HTTP (HTML mode)
    3. No
    5. None
    6. New
    7. Web 5800
    Network 1000
    DCOM 1000
    Oracle 1000
    Remote Access 1000
    8. Yes
    9. Windows Server 2003 SP1
    10. No

What Everyone Should Read Before Asking For Help on the Internet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Skadamo,
    You said
    "We are in the middle of functional testing."
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Are you saying functional testing of an application during the OS upgrade, or functional testing of the OS? Either way, I would do the full regression as well as performance and Fail-over tests.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thats what I thought. This upgrade is more like going to a more recent service pack in windows. Not as drastic as a move from NT to XP. Mostly security updates. Anyway, thanks for the input!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If it were me... I'd be asking this question of the product manager, not a group of strangers. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

That said. I've gone both ways on this issue in the past. First off, chat with your developers and get a feel for how closely the application under test is tied to the operating system... the more it interacts with the O/S, the higher your desire to completely regression test should be.

If the application lives almost completely apart from the O/S, you could get a little bit more complacent and pass up doing a complete regression test. Just be sure to hit the security areas that are going to be changed.

It's all about how comfortable your team is with the decision... if it's only your neck on the line, go for the full test! If someone else owns the final decision, give them all the info you can and let them make the call.

If it were me... I'd point to the sign on my wall, "There's no QA in team." We're all responsible for the quality of the products we create as a team... so we all need to have a chance to speak and help make the decision.

Good luck!