Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Uncheck property

hi!
    i have a doubt and hope you clarify the same.
    suppose i have checked a check box and clicked the delete button. now i don't want to delete it and i have clicked Cancel. the pop up box closes but the option is still checked. i have reported my development team to enhance the functionality as, when we click cancel button, the checked option should be unchecked automatically.
    and my development team says, there is no functionality like that.
    i want to make it sure by knowing from you,
    is it really not possible ?
    hope you clarify my doubt,
    regards,
    Ravi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Uncheck property

Everything is possible. The real question is: "how much it costs?"
    The answer to the question will depend on the application/language/development environment. As you do not provide this information, it is difficult to give the answer.

There is something else in your question: As I understand it, there are two functionalities: check a checkbox to select an item for the next action and then click on a button "Delete" to delete the selected items. If you answer "Cancel" to the question because you realized that you do not want to delete the selected items but rather move them to another folder (for example), surely you do not want the checkboxes to be unchecked automatically! Even if the "Move" action does not exist now, it (or something else) can be added in the future and then surely it will be difficult (mainly from the end user point of view) to change the logic for the checking/unchecking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

jmi is right, and to further expound upon his point, there are two more questions, which are intertwined; what does the requirement state the application should do? This is what you are bound to test against. Further, what does normal application behavior dictate should occur, and this is the real hook here. As an exploratory tester, even without requirements, if I check the box, then click the Delete button, then click the Cancel button, if the boxes unchecked themselves, I would immediately write a defect. That is not consistant with normal Windows application behavior, and as jmi points out, raises a host of other problems.

I am also curious, are you a tester? End user? Business Analyst? I ask because your post implies that you are telling your developers how the application should behave rather than reporting on how it does behave, and this is a slippery slope for testers.

Good Luck,
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

All is true, but don't forget there could be a usability issue here, in that the requirements, (God forbid), could be incorrect. But we don't know what the requirements say.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner