Thread: Testing Testers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Testing Testers

How does one evaluate a tester? Is there any matrix for such evaluation?
    ----------------
    Gaurav Parrikar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Testing Testers

Gaurav,
    what are you evaluating these testers for?
    What metrics are relevant to them and the organisation?
    What are the organisational goals?
    How are the testers utilised with the dev.life cycle?

There are a number of methods and evaluation techniques for performance out there in the public domain, (360 appraisals, Hayes Model, Balanced Score cards) these generic frame works are based on skills, capabilities and expectations for a specific role.

I have also seen a number of models out there specifically for testers, some at the SQE STAR conferences and others at the European ICS Test conferences, if you have a powerpass thes SQE's are available for download at www.stickyminds.com and may be of use, some of the ICS ones are posted under the original authors sites and names: search the web on, Julie Gardener, Lloyd Rodden, Stuart Reid, Johanna Rothman, Esther Dery and Elisabeth Hendrickson all have done some good work in this area.

[ 08-30-2005, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: neill_mccarthy ]
    ------
    Regards,
    Neill McCarthy
    Agile Testers of the World UNIT!

For more contextual Musings visit http://www.testingreflections.com/ and now at http://www.sqablogs.com/neillmccarthy/
    ---

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Neil
    ----------------
    Gaurav Parrikar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

A tester should be evaluated as any other employee is. Nothing against what you said Neill, but they should be graded on their scripting abilities, work ethics, compliancy to company policies, dress habits, team participation, leadership abilities, resourcefulness, responsiveness, and knowledge of their work environment. These and other characteristics should be independently measured objectively and not compared to other testers. But by NO means should they be evaluated on the sheer numbers of test cases produced and/or executed. If they seem to be deficient in this area, work with them, but don't criticize them for their lack of speed. Perhaps they are much better testers than the rest, so they take longer to write tests and run them because they are more observant and detail oriented.

My 2 cents!
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Rich - you really evaluate employees based on dress habits? If by that, you mean that they comply with the company standard (casual, tie, suit), then that is covered in the compliance with standards part.

If you really mean dress habits as in "I don't like the shirt you are wearing", score one for the fashion police. I'm in trouble.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by Rich W.:
    A tester should be evaluated as any other employee is. Nothing against what you said Neill, but they should be graded on their scripting abilities, work ethics, compliancy to company policies, dress habits, team participation, leadership abilities, resourcefulness, responsiveness, and knowledge of their work environment. These and other characteristics should be independently measured objectively and not compared to other testers. But by NO means should they be evaluated on the sheer numbers of test cases produced and/or executed. If they seem to be deficient in this area, work with them, but don't criticize them for their lack of speed. Perhaps they are much better testers than the rest, so they take longer to write tests and run them because they are more observant and detail oriented.

My 2 cents!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Rich, i think it complements what I said quite nicely at the next level of detail [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    ------
    Regards,
    Neill McCarthy
    Agile Testers of the World UNIT!

For more contextual Musings visit http://www.testingreflections.com/ and now at http://www.sqablogs.com/neillmccarthy/
    ---

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Rich - Dress habits, I'm not sure if I would use that one. Its certainly a no no for me..

From personal experience I feel I work best when I'm dressed in casuals, I feel more comfortable and can concentrate on my job.
    Dont expect me to sit there in a tie and crease free shirt expecting me to put in 10 to 12 hrs a day when necessary..
    Having said that I agree that the dress code might be something that I follow during seminars, presentations to external clients..etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Considering that most of the software companies I have worked for there are always Developers walking around without shoes I think I'm in casual land. Usually we only worry about dress, and cleanliness of cubes, when customers or investors come in, otherwise its all open.

But to the original question its usually up to the corporate culture, I've been in the ABC levels and Balanced Scorecard - as well as just your standard "How you doing?" reviews. I don't think that question can easily be answered outside the company.

- M
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

As author of presentation on last ICSTEST regarding testers’ skills to be evaluated feel responsible to add here somethingJ. Case study in my company shown that top 5 skills are: analytical, communication, development, documentation, business/user perception, planning. But it’s only my company.
    However I would like to stress that there are no such thing as “ideal tester”. And you can’t say John is 70% of ideal, while Peter is only 60%. There are different tasks that require different skills. Recalling this thread – if tester has to communicate with anyone outside company or at least outside department, or project team – things like dressing habits could play role. Otherwise they don’t.
    Suppose this: there is no ideal tester, however there is something like “universal” tester (jack of all trades). One who could script, design, analyze, communicate, lead, plan, report, present, provide training, etc. And there are some specialized or naturally good only in same areas and weak in other. If you utilize such a tester correctly he will show better results than the universal one. If you don’t – you will need to fire him soon, although it is not his fault.
    ?:the art of a constructive conflict perceived as a destructive diagnose.
    Ainars

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Alright you Guys, I didn't mean that we have a scoring sheet for shirts and pants! But since Fridays are dress-down days at work, if someone wears flip-flops and a lewd T-shirt, that is totally inappropriate. We utilize MBO's and personal hygiene is one of the grading points. I know that Demming says, "MBO's are replacements for leadership", but I can't seem to get that across to upper management, especially those who say, "Demming who?".
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast