Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Basic Test Plan with Test Cases

Hi All,

Here is a test plan I created for one particular area of fucntionality.

I was wondering if some of the resident experts could have a peruse and give me some feedback on it.

1124711591.doc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Basic Test Plan with Test Cases

First, thanks for including the work you wanted to have critiqued. Not many people go to that length.

I'm going to preface my feedback with the following disclaimer: the views expressed are my own, and may or may not reflect reality. Take what you want, throw out the rest.

My feedback is that you appear to have both the test plan and the specific test cases (or scripts) included in the same document. In my experience, those are separate documents.

The test plan that I would have written would have kept going along the generic lines you started with, then go into things like "here are the various types of testing I want to do, the entrance and exit criteria for each, how I am going to track discrepancies", etc, etc. You get the drift - the general housekeeping rules and such.

Then I would take the part where you have your test cases and turn them into testing scripts for the actual testing.

Again, only the way I would do it. I know that you will get many other flavors from others here, and I don't think any of them will be "wrong".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for your time Darrel and I accept your comments on this being a hybrid document with elements of a Test Plan and a Test Script combined. However, I thought any more high level information would be too time consuming for the peice of functionality being tested (considering I have generated Project Test Strategy which acompanies each test script/plan such as the one I have submitted). I was hoping to catch all information belonging soley to the area being tested in the document so it could be used without any supporting documentation, hence the testplan style at the start fo the document; while the Test Strategy covers more high level areas such as how to generate the test cases and what types of testing to use etc.

Again thanks for taking the time to look and comment on my submission.

All comments on it are welcome, positive and negative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I took a quick look at your document. It could be a good testplan.

I will tell you the differences between your plan, and the plans we make. Maybe you get some ideas to improve your plans.

1) I am not sure if the software that you test is new. But if it is, it would be wise to make a list of all the new objects, including a small discription and where they can be found. That way you can check out if it is all there after the software has been made ready for testing.

2) Another thing: when we make a plan we write out every single step and expectation on a new line using MS Excel. That way the plan is very detailed. You should always make sure that the discriptions leave no questions and can only be understood one way.

3) I assume that you made your plan according to some sort of a design document? What we always do is add to every line in the plan, the pagenumber of the design document that discribes the function. So later when you are actually testing you can look everything up in the design document very quick and easy.

I hope this helps.
    Softwaretesters... always looking for trouble!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for your comments Sander78, much appreciated.
    I am concerned that the tasks or steps are a bit too long in some cases and your comments sort of confirm this, too many actions per step etc (although getting the right balance of details without repeating work is hard. I think you can put too much detail in, for example, if I was to add all the steps and expected results prior to actually reaching the area you are testing then you are looking at a massive test plan that checks areas probably already covered in another script).Anyhow, I like the idea of having more traceability, linking test cases to areas of a design document or similar (but we dont have that level of technical specs etc available).

I may have to look into using Excel, dont suppose you have any examples or templates:-)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Here is a pretty good outline for a test plan:

http://www.acomtech.com/testplan.html

And a template: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/classes/RWL...test_plan.html

And what could/should be in a test plan:

http://www.softwareqatest.com/qatfaq2.html#FAQ2_6b

All good references.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well, I can give you an example. But all our testplans are in Dutch. But maybe if I translate the headers you could get an impression of the way we build our plans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I put one of our (partly translated) testplans on the internet.

Check:

http://members.home.nl/j.clabbers/testplan.xls

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

To RICH W
    Thanks for those links Rich W, but I think the typically defind testplan has to many overheads to be practical for the scope of testing we use. I think test plans with that level of detail should be considered as a master test plan (one document for the whole project), then use scripts similar to what I posted to capture the testcases.

TO SANDER78
    Thanks for that Sander.. Next step = learn Dutch:-)
    I have moved over to XL now btw and I have used some of the elements in your scripts. I will post a copy of my new scripts soon.

BTW can you add an attachment to a reply? I cant seem to find anyway of adding additional docuents to this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

eneilson,

I think your plan is fine, I don't think you need any more detail than that. Basically it shows what you're planning to do.

I agree that most template test plans you see are too big to be practical. It's too easy to download a template off the internet and start filling it in. As an example I've got a 100+ page test strategy on my desk from a previous Test Manager which no-one has read.

I think the important things you need to cover, probably more apt in a strategy are:

1) What are you testing, and what aren't you testing. Not a detailed list of requirements, just cover the basics so it's clear.

2) When are you doing testing. Not specifics like dates etc, let the project manager/project plan care about that, you just to make it clear when testing fits in with the development lifecycle.

3) How you're going to deal with problems. Do you have a defect management system? Provide a few basics on the process.

That, along with your test plans should be more than enough.

I also don't think you should make your cases/steps too detailed otherwise they are going to be a nightmare to maintain. Keep them flexible and general, so what if 2 people do the same test in slightly different ways?

Finally, here's a test management tool in Excel, it might be useful for recording and tracking tests. http://www.henshuu.co.uk/testtemplates.htm

One last thing, it's nice to see someone actively helping themselves, seems most of the posts I read here are people trying to get answers to interview questions.
    Everywhere's within walking distance if you have enough time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast