Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What do you do when testing deadline approaches

What do you do when testing deadline approaches? We are doing manual testing and what strategy you follow to handle the testing scenario(Do you perform adhoc testing keeping the next install in mind). Any help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: What do you do when testing deadline approaches

I would execute all my plans with all necessary:
    1) risks/assumptions
    2) agreements as to what will be tested and what will not
    3) etc., etc.

Any ad hoc testing can certainly be a part of it.

Deadline to begin testing or deadline to complete?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Mark,
    This is a good time to apply risk based testing. Assign a risk factor based on the criticality of the functionality to the company vs. The historic failure rate of each function, and start testing the highest risk first,
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Who is your customer? What do they want? What does your company want?

It is all down to priorities and risks.

In my current project, the customer wants a fully tested product, that is the priority, and if that means the product is delivered late, then the product is delivered late. The overriding goal here is a quality product, cost (almost) no object, so the customer is prepared to take very little risk.

If the priority is to get the product to market, then you might be able to take a higher risk.

Remember there are three variables to take into account; cost, time, quality. Vary any one of these and you affect at least one of the other two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by jpensyl:

Deadline to begin testing or deadline to complete?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">I would add: if it is deadline to complete – then is it deadline to complete testing or to ship? Usually it is deadline for whole engineering, not only testing, so you should start questioning what we (engineering) do, not what I (tester) do.
    What we do is following:
    1) Analyze defects still not fixed and postpone whatever defect we could postpone, even if it is easy to fix – it still may trigger regression.
    2) Testing for those critical defects only. It mean something like Smoke tests for low risk functionality and Ad-Hoc or formal regression for high risk. Do not waste time to report “small” bugs.
    3) And of course - analyze risks.
    ?:the art of a constructive conflict perceived as a destructive diagnose.
    Ainars

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ainars,

There is a difference between prioritizing tests for risk-based testing and not reporting defects. Assuming that you do not know what will fail you cannot test for critical defects: you can test in areas where a potential failure would be critical or costly. Any defects should be logged, but only the most critical defects may be fixed in what time is available. The risk based testing focus does not eliminate tests: you can still do all of the tests if there is time available. It is just that if you run out of time you should only have the less critical tests remaining.

Ultimately it is not QA that decides on shipping or delaying: you should simply focus on reporting any defects as clearly as possible and to let the powers decide on disposition. In a critical case they may even go live without testing, just so a key deadline can be achieved (sometimes contracts stipulate a go-live date without a penalty for a subsequence roll-over-and-die). If you miss your deadline penalties come into play; if the client insists on fixes and changes, there is a chance to negotiate a subsequent phase-2 date.

So I agree with the notion that you should remain calm and collected, prioritize the risk areas, so that you can proceed in an orderly fashion to do as much as you can in the time available.
    Frits Bos, PMP
    frits_bos@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Mark,
    I forgot to mention, make a list of all tests not run and prioratize them then try to evaluate the risk to the company if they are not executed. This will enlighten upper management to the fact that there might be a risk envolved in releasing on schedule. If you do this, any production defects found in the field that got there do to lack of testing is not your fault.

This is usually very effective in getting the ship date slipped.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by Frits Bos:
    ...you can test in areas where a potential failure would be critical or costly...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Thank You, this is what I meant, but going deeper – not only areas, but also specific cases, test steps, etc.
    However I disagree about logging all defects – defect logging takes it’s time, a lot of time if defect is not straight forward and tester need to play around it to figure out actual reason, etc. So why to spend time if it is not going to be fixed anyway?
    Regarding ship decision – of course it is not up to tester to decide, however as a tester I take the responsibility for not shipping in time. I took years for me and my engineering manager to understand that we are not enemies with developers. We started to analyze defects: deciding fix or not to fix just before shipping - even if idea of not fix defect seems like escaping quality improvement, it actually reduces project risks a lot.
    P.S. Perhaps there are a specific in my case as we are quite “close” to development and have main goal quality improvement (and validation as a tool). If you have goal validation and improvement as a tool, it may be different.
    ?:the art of a constructive conflict perceived as a destructive diagnose.
    Ainars

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by ojnjars:
    However I disagree about logging all defects – defect logging takes it’s time, a lot of time if defect is not straight forward and tester need to play around it to figure out actual reason, etc. So why to spend time if it is not going to be fixed anyway?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">I always require that ALL defects found get logged.

If defects are logged, then an appropriate business decision can be made about fixing them or not.
    If the defects are not logged, the decision will be made without knowledge of the defects.

I can't imagine a case where I would want QAers deciding not to log issues (unless they were already logged).
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I agree with Joe: if there is time to execute the test there is time to log the results. Any test that is executed without a result being logged is not contributing to feedback about the relative level of robustness of the code. Tell me, what is more informative, 17 errors, or 17 errors out of 389 tests executed rather than 17 out of 38? How do you expect people to make deployment decisions if they do not know the context of what has been tested and what results were obtained? Assuming a risk based testing priority, 17 out of 389 sounds pretty good if I had to take a risk, but 17 out of 38 is almost a 50% failure rate. By contrast, 17 by itself tells me absolutely nothing except that 17 error reports were written up, so how can I make a deployment decision?
    Frits Bos, PMP
    frits_bos@hotmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast