Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Test scenario, Test Case & Test script

I have been successfully testing the Software application for a long time but NOT technically understanding the creation of the right set of documents. I have seen the Test Case Vs Test script topic in the Forum but I have not quite understand the examples in detail.

I would like mention what I understood of the following definitions of each document and request the feedback of the forum members to see if what I understaood is correct(Test scenario is not mentioned but I would like to use it as I have mentioned below).

The definitions I found in this forum:

Test Case: the criteria which define how to perform one specific validation of an item under test, usually in the general format of (1) initial conditions, (2) input or action, (3) expected output/result. (Often used incorrectly/imprecisely to mean a Test Procedure/Script.)

Test Procedure: A set of instructions for a tester to follow in order to execute a set (1 - n) of related test cases. Usually used to denote the procedure for manual testing, but can also refer to automated tests.

Test Script: Same as Test Procedure, but usually used to denote an automated test as opposed to a manual test.

My example:

Assume that I have to create the following documents for testing a Login box with User ID, Password, OK, Cancel buttons:

Test scenarios:
    1. Testing of User ID field with multiple combination of the number of characters and numericals with respect to the limitation.
    2. Testing of the password field with similar combination that was done for UserID.
    3. Testing of OK button with different combinations of data in the UserID and Password fields.

Test Cases (These should fall with in the scope of the scenarios):
    1. Considering field limitation is 6 characters. Enter 6 alphabetical characters in User IF field and test it with all the proper data in place.
    2. Enter 6 numerical characters in User IF field and test it with all the proper data in place.
    3. Enter first 3 alpha and followed by 3 numerical characters in User IF field and test it with all the proper data in place.
    Test script:
    I use the same common Test script for all the above created Test Cases. This will only give an idea of how to use Login screen but changes need to be made accordingly while performing the test case execution.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for your patience.
    RM

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Test scenario, Test Case & Test script

RM - look like good enough working examples to me and would pass muster as a description and example set in most companies and interviews.
    To be honest, the specific definitions are always debated and concensus for what they are exactly seems to depend on what type of code shop you are in and which school of test you follow.
    (google brett prettichord for more on the schools of testing concept).
    Formal definitions can be found via SWEBOK, IEEE, ISEB amongst others and all differ slighty, so codifying the ideas in a manner that works for you with a contextual example is a fine place to be.
    I will quote all to other managers, but only if i am feeling really crabby [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    ------
    Regards,
    Neill McCarthy
    Agile Testers of the World UNIT!

For more contextual Musings visit http://www.testingreflections.com/ and now at http://www.sqablogs.com/neillmccarthy/
    ---

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes, words are varying in different environments. However, most important thing is to make sure that the whole QA team use the same terminology.

Definitions could depend on the test management system used as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

RM, I believe you are correct in your definitions, but you have left out an important (in my opinion) document : the test plan (or strategy or whatever you want to call it), where you define the type of tests you will perform.

For instance in your example you limit your tests to valid number of input characters. You might have added attacks such as large number of characters, invalid characters (quotes, ...) just to name a few.

You might also wish to look at IEEE 829:1998 to have some ideas on what could be included in a test plan.
    The suggestions by Neill are correct, and you might also want to have a look at James Bach and Cem Kaner's works on the subject. They have a different approach than mine, but they are in another context.

Regards
    BH