Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

novice in software testing

Im a novice in software testing. Well, i've been testing one of the company's system for three months and just this morning...my boss told me that i have to create a testplan for this project. I can follow our existing template (basically downloaded from the internet also) or create a new one. This is my opportunity to suggest a new software testing process as well (since our company doesnt have one yet).

Can you help me with this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: novice in software testing

What are your specific questions?

When you want to start with a 'new' software testing process, check what already exists.
    What I do like is to get everybody involved with testing around the table and see what they know, can, and are willing to do with regard to test activities. For each test level (unit, unit integration, system, system integration, acceptance) gather the following information: definition (ensure that everybody understands the same thing!), responsibility, entry criteria, exit criteria, test design techniques, deliverables, approach to testing, retesting, and regression testing, environment, approach to automation (tools), metrics, applicable standards, communication (e.g. defect handling, progress reporting).
    When everybody agrees to (some of) these points, I guess you have a good start for your 'new software testing process'.
    Kind regards,
    Steven Deneir
    www.geocities.com/belgiansqa

Flowing water never goes bad; our door hubs never gather termites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It all depends on what type of project u r testing. What should be the thrust area for test cases etc. Understanding this will help you draft new s/w testing process.
    Shishir

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

i am assigned to test an application developed in a webclient and a smartclient. we already have existing test cases and a testplan. but i am to introduce a new way of doing it..as well as using a new repository for test cases (we're using TCM at present) and bug tracking tool (buggit at present)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

xtnne,

Why do they want a new way of doing it? This is the basis for your new process: keep what is good, and check what the new requirements are for the process. Is it cost cutting, diminishing the defect slip through to production, earlier defect detection, diminishing the lead time, etc.

Concerning the tool... There is a lot of discusion on this forum on the added value of a tool. The common believe seems to be that as long as you don't have a good manual test process, tools better be left in their boxes in the shop. Take care with this.
    A tool is just a way to automate what you are doing manually.
    Kind regards,
    Steven Deneir

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

they used to have software testers..all of them resigned one by one though. they dont have a standard way of doing things yet and now we have 3 testers again (i, being one of them). my boss told us that this is our time to "shine" by introducing a standard procedure for testing. as for the test plan..we do have an existing one but i find it so vague and it includes a lot of things that i feel are not so important

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

xtnne,

So you do almost start from scratch. When you create a new process, you must be sure you know what the expectations are towards testing. In general these are described in a test policy, approved by management. A test policy typically contains the following:
    - definition of testing: what does the company understands when they hear the word "testing"
    - rule set: what are basic rules that any test effort must follow
    - organization of testing: where and how does the testers fit within the organization
    - testing process: some high level ideas on the process (e.g. follow the V-model, follow Rational Unified Process, be consistent with CMMI, etc.)
    - evaluation of testing: how will testing be evaluated, when do they a good job, when not
    - quality levels to be achieved: some (high level) metrics that show the required quality (e.g. % of defects slipped through to production must be less than x)
    - approach to test process improvement: how does the company ensure that the test process will get better all the time, and not diminish when some testers leave (e.g. follow the CMMI track of the company, do post-project reviews to see where testing can improve, start a TMM project, etc.)
    This is very useful information to gather from management. On the other hand, sometimes management doesn't want to hear about this approach and it's all up to you. In this case... just read on a little.

Where the above is a top-down approach, you can also take a bottom-up approach: see what you need, and implement it step by step. You keep improving it by addressing the problems you encounter.

For test process improvement, there are 2 models available that might help you out:
    TMM: http://www.asq.org/pub/sqp/past/vol1...burnstein.html

TPI: www.sogeti.nl/tpi and www.geocities.com/belgiansqa/TPI.html
    Kind regards,
    Steven Deneir

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

thank you very much, steven

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by xtnne:
    my boss told us that this is our time to "shine" by introducing a standard procedure for testing. as for the test plan..we do have an existing one but i find it so vague and it includes a lot of things that i feel are not so important
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Hi xtnne,

I would like to tell you one thing. You want to introduce some new ways of doing the Testing. That's not bad. But still you have one more thing to consider. Its not that just becoz u define some good Test process things wil fall in Place and u can "Shine". You need to have a well defined process in the other areas also. Atleast in development. Infact if possible, a well defined process for whole of the organization wud be good. Even if you dont have a good compliance ..i wud say u have something defined first. So that you can sit, analyze and understand where things are going wrong.

Why this is insisted is basically becoz for example, in ur test process u may desire that for each and every interim test builds u wud require 4 days time to complete a test cycle. ( i.e for executing all of the TC's that you have)

And before the the Release or for the final build you want to have minimum of 3-4 Test cycles to ensure a Error Free Release. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Even though this has to be determined based on the Date of Delivery to the Customer.. the point here is that u need to get the build from the Development Team in time to complete the desited no of Test Cycles. If that has to be done in time, the Development Team should have a well defined process in place to ensure that the build is delivered in time to the QC.As well all know its all interdependent.

What i would suggest you is to scrutenize the existing Test process as Steven Said and try to Improvize it. You need not try to turn things
    around to get notized. Its enough if you analyze and make minor changes. Most of the time..its the final touches which normally addes value to the Paintings. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If possible ask your boss to insist to the management the importance of Processes in all of the areas. So that things can go hand in hand without much trouble.

For sure you would be encouraged for the initiatives that you have taken.

All the Best.
    FC
    [i]Work Like u don't need Money...Love like u have never been Hurt...Dance Like Nobody is Watching...Sing Like Nobody is Listening...Live like its Heaven on Earth!
    &lt;/i]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Xtnne,

To add a little to the above, a good standard for a testplan is offered by IEEE Standards for Software Engineering 829 (Testplan). It is a standard which answers all the relevant questions (omit them if not needed).
    Further the sequence that is suggested by 829, is a process in itself from high level, down to the nuts and bolts.

Further it is very important as mentioned by FC to get an understanding from your boss, how far management is willing to go. In other words are they willing to buy into the idea and invest (after all there must a reason why the previous testers left, correct ?) to improve the testing.

Finally the quality and level of testing is also depending on related issues like the quality of functional requirements of an app. as well as the time and means that are present to prepare and execute the testing.

Hope this quick thought helps.

Regards,

Logician

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast