Can anyone please guide me on the metrics that would help in improving the quality. I have searched the net but could find complex metrics and ours being a small project, didn't find them useful. Also, is there any free downloadable tool that can help me in developing the metrics.
After reading, you will see that one of the problems with software quality all along has been trying to define the metrics that will measure quality. No one really has a good, agreed upon way of doing so.
The only answer I have been able to come up with on my projects is to define the metrics as part of the project kickoff and get buy in by the sponsors before the project really got going. In other words, quality is measured however the sponsors decide to measure it, on a per project basis.
1. Number of scripts written per month
2. Number of scripts updated per month
3. Total manual vs. automated scripts(if you
4. Time to execute, manual & automated
5. Number of Defects found over time of project
(when this one gets to an acceptable level
it's time to release)
6. Number of defects fixed
7. Number & cost of production defects
These are simple but can give a lot of leverage!